•  

Thread: Wiper fuse blowing

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Wiper fuse blowing

Hey all - member here for a while, just haven't been posting.

My wife's 06 blew it's wiper fuse a few days ago. Replacing it, it blows immediately.

Best as I can tell the rear wiper motor appears to be in mid-sweep and I'm wondering if it is the culprit as I'm guessing they run through the same fuse..but I'm only guessing here.

Anyone else have this problem and have any idea where to start? It's gotta be a dead short somewhere I'm guessing. If the rear motor is indeed the problem is there an easy spot to temporarily disconnect it, or will I have to pull the interior panel off the hatch to get directly to the harness at the motor itself?

Am I completely off base and there's somewhere more common that creates this issue?

Thanks in advance.

Almost time to do my timing belt ontarian_frog's Avatar
      Thanks
      Fuses blow because of two things. Age or a short. Since the new one blew immediately, you most likely have a short somewhere. Since you are saying the rear motor is at half sweep, I'd say it's the culprit.

To pull the panel off, just push the little buttons in on the rear interior panel, this will allow you to take the panel off. It's not hard at all. Then just disconnect the rear motor and put a new fuse in and see what happens.
      Last edited by ontarian_frog; 01-08-2011 at 03:47 PM.
      I leased Pontiac Wave from September 2006 to August 2011.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      does it blow immediately if you dont use the rear motor?

does it operate the front wipers without the rear on?

if it is the rear motor and just at half sweep, why not just not use the rear wiper?

Thanks
      Pulled the access panel off the rear wiper and disconnected it this morning. Also disconnected the harness to the front wiper motor at the same time.

Replaced fuse, all well - can hear the relays clicking and fuse doesn't blow.

Reconnected front wiper motor, all well - wipers and washers work fine.

Reconnected rear wiper motor, fuse pops immediately.

Guess I found my problem.

I'll order a new motor for it and replace it next weekend, no rush for the rear wiper really. While I'm at it I've gotta try to replace the washer fluid hose inside the rear hatch panel as it has a hole in it that causes the washer fluid to spray into the inside of the door instead of into the rear window. I can't immagine HOW this happened, but it did...

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Oshawapilot View Post
      Pulled the access panel off the rear wiper and disconnected it this morning. Also disconnected the harness to the front wiper motor at the same time.

Replaced fuse, all well - can hear the relays clicking and fuse doesn't blow.

Reconnected front wiper motor, all well - wipers and washers work fine.

Reconnected rear wiper motor, fuse pops immediately.

Guess I found my problem.

I'll order a new motor for it and replace it next weekend, no rush for the rear wiper really. While I'm at it I've gotta try to replace the washer fluid hose inside the rear hatch panel as it has a hole in it that causes the washer fluid to spray into the inside of the door instead of into the rear window. I can't immagine HOW this happened, but it did...
      Glad to hear you found the problem... Ha funny, my hose is also broken and fills the door with windshield washer... I have to replace it also.

Thanks
      Well, it's interesting to hear that the broken fluid line issue isn't isolated to me then... I'm wondering now if it's secured inside the hatch somewhere and this mounting point is what's causing the hole/leak?

I was hoping to simply cut the line at the top of the hatch and use the hose itself to draw the new hose through the hatch..but if it's secured somewhere internally this may not work.

Just trying to fish new hose through the internals of the hatch around from the top hole to the lower access panel looks like it could be a colossal PITA otherwise.

ANyhow, moot right now for me - no wiper anyways, and the line appears frozen somewhere between the front and back of the car right now, couldn't get any fluid to even pump through this morning.

Thanks
      That's what happened to me, I hardly ever use the rear wiper and had some summer windshield washer in... It froze in the winter and broke in half. It appears that we'll have to take the interior roof panel off to get to the hose connection. From the diagrams when I use to work for a Suzuki dealer, the connection is somewhere under that panel.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by ontarian_frog View Post
      That's what happened to me, I hardly ever use the rear wiper and had some summer windshield washer in... It froze in the winter and broke in half. It appears that we'll have to take the interior roof panel off to get to the hose connection. From the diagrams when I use to work for a Suzuki dealer, the connection is somewhere under that panel.
      a mnth ago im at work ist snowing like a madman and im dreading hour vdrive lol now two hr drive home mine ,,i turn on wipers they just stop ,,i was lucky caus all i had to do was replace fuse ,,and that was it ,,its ironic caus mine is an 06 too