•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windshield washer fluid pump

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

Windshield washer fluid pump

I didn't know where to put this thread, so I put it in the most popular section (site manager please move it if im in the wrong place)

I had a little fender bender this past weekend and gently bumped into someone from behind on my drivers side, now I do not have any windshield washer fluid pumping out of the nozzles. yes, i do have fluid becasue I hardly ever use my washer fluid as it is (maybe 50 times since 2004). when under the car I can feel where the pump is and I have looked at the pricing for a new one(25-30 bucks). I just dont know how to get to the darn thing. you cannot see it from the top and the only solution I can think of is draining out the fluid, and taking out the entire reservoir since the pump feels like its attached to it. anybody done this before? im sure the regulars who have done engine swaps etc have run into this part of the car. any advice or a how-to would be great. i have a standard trans 2004 hatch base model. Thanks
      JR

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      You'll have to drain it anyway...After you take off the left fender liner, disconnect the connecter and pull off the hose from the motor, then you kinda pull the top away from the tank and pull up on it....WASHER FLUID WILL COME OUT ONCE THE MOTOR IS REMOVED!!!!!! Mainly cuz of gravity

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Thanks ratchet. by the fender liner, do you mean inside the engine bay that covers the reservoir (on the right side)?

I hate working on the car in the winter!

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      I believe that you have to take off the left front tire to get to the pump. First, though, disconnect the battery. Also, you might want to check the fuse before you do anything. I guess that I am getting things in the wrong order but have you listened to see if you can hear the pump running when you hit the switch? Good luck.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      wuwei, I know the pump is trying to work because when I pull on the switch to activate the washer fluid it trickles out of the nozzles on the hood, but only a few drops, i guess i could check on the fuse I really didn't even think about that. I think it is just shot, but the only way to find out is to do what both you and ratchet said and get in there to figure the problem out. I am going to wait on buying a new pump until I see that I absolutely have to. Thanks for your help!

Thanks
      Because some fluid is coming out you can disregard the fuse. Yes, I guess that you should access the pump and see what the problem is. Maybe it is just a blocked hose or maybe a new pump is needed. Again, disconnect the battery, take off the left front wheel, securely support the car with stands or blocks, take off the fender shield, and you should be able to "easily" work on the pump. Good luck.
      Last edited by wuwei37405; 11-12-2011 at 03:44 AM.

Thanks
      Or maybe the line is leaking somewhere

Thanks
      Good thinking. I am guessing, though, that 70% of the time it is the pump. I hope that the mystery is solved so that we can all learn something useful.

Thanks
      You could disconnect the fluid line at the pump and have someone turn on the fluid. Then see what kind of force it comes out of the pump with. If it still trickles out, then it is the pump. but if it shoots out, then you have a leak/restriction somewhere. And if you do have a leak/restriction, I'd disconnect them at the nozzles and the pump and maybe hit the line with some forced air.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Sorry about being away guys, I go up to a friends place on the weekends and there is no computer/internet. I have not been able to check out the car, but i am getting my video camera and digital camera prepared for the challenge of finding out what is wrong with the fluid problem. All ideas mentioned (leak, clog, etc..) have run through my head, but the only way to find out is to dig in. I may even make a nice how to thread as a project with youtube videos on my personal channel and pictures as well. of course, its winter and it sucks, and i hate the cold and working in it. lol. thanks for yalls advice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast