•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whiny car...

I'll keep it and add a turbo brendan.melanson's Avatar
      Thanks

Whiny car...

Hey guys,

My 06 Aveo5 SVP is whining. I was driving through deep snow/slush on my way home during a storm tonight and whenever I was accelerating I noticed a whining sound, whenever I left off the gas it stopped, then whenever I got into the driveway I could hear it again but at a complete stop I moved the wheel left to right, right to left each way until I hit the steering locks (where you can't turn anymore), at the time it hit the steering locks it didn't whine at all, shut right up.

Is this a power steering issue? Maybe the weather took a toll on it, causing it and maybe it won't happen tomorrow? I'm at 106,700KM and I'm worried it's the timing belt but if that's what it was the light would have come on or something, and it wouldn't have shut up whenever I hit the steering locks... Right?!

Please give me some clear air on this...

Almost time to do my timing belt ontarian_frog's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      The serpentine belt probably got wet. Also check power steering fluid level. A wet belt will whine and so would a low fluid condition in the power steering reservoir. Those would be the first things I'd check.
      I leased Pontiac Wave from September 2006 to August 2011.

Thanks
      Alright, well I just thought of something after reading your post. If the belt was broke, then the power steering would stiffen up a bit until it gradually went, the lights would dim especially when hitting the brakes or using the signals e.t.c

So on my adventure tonight, I'll see if it whines anymore. I'm almost positive it's a wet belt, I know the fluid is fine though!

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? serega12's Avatar
      Thanks
      Post your findings here for the future reference!
      2006 Chevrolet Aveo a.k.a. Holden Barina – SOLD
      ​2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/TC - SOLD

Thanks
      I will for sure bud! Whenever I go out tonight, well before I go out I plan on inspecting the belt quick and making sure it didn't go off track or it's not tearing. Praying it was wet.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      wet belt is possible. but if the belt breaks, you'll make a one way trip. as the alternator wont recharge the battery, youll also have NO power assist, which means turning the wheel while not moving will be much more difficult than normal.

Depending on the whining, only occurs while moving and turning? In heavy snow? (from your description)
      it could be a lot of things making that noise with snow built up in there. check the belt first.

Thanks
      And make sure you bring some cash for the cab, buddy. Just in case... You have AAA/full coverage?

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks
      if u are at 106 000km and have not changed ur timing belt, DO IT NOW or U WILL LOSE UR CAR
      Its more fun to drive a slow car fast, rather than drive a fast car slow!

Thanks
      Oh yeah, good point, Denis. I'm at 45k miles and I'm already thinking that I need to change it in the near future.

Thanks
      Nope, didn't change the belt yet. Hardly have money for gas, let alone to change it and I rely on my car for multiple reasons.

As far as the Seperntine, not sure what's going on with it. I recorded a video, so I'm gonna upload it in the morning and see what's going on and if anyone can identify the sound. When I left this morning it didn't do it at all, then after driving through slush and snow it started up again so I'm assuming it's a wet belt, when you hit the accelerator it gets louder almost like an electric whine, like a RC car driving at top speed. However, performance isn't affected.

I've already had the belt break on me, this is a basically new belt with maybe 10,000KM on it. Had it replaced in November I believe! I was pulling out of a place, after driving for about 20 minutes after it snapped, lights got basically turned off then it chugged it's way to it dying and me and the crew pushing it down the road into the closest parking lot. Changed the belt in the parking lot the next day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast