•  

Thread: Weird occurrence

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Weird occurrence

Friday when I was picking up parts for my sisters trailblazer, the battery and brake lights came on. Autozone monkey said battery was good so I told him to check the alternator, he said low voltage output. Went to dinner then picked up alternator on the way home. When pulling onto my street, pressing the brakes made the dash lights go off, so barely made it home. Probably did a good hours driving after the lights initially came on. So about an hour later the new alternator is on. I did disconnect the negative battery terminal when I started. Get everything buttoned up, start it, and yay no battery light. BUT now the dang airbag light in the dash is on. Any suggestions how to fix or what I should check?
      The only thing I did up around the bumper was pull out that plastic cover that shields the belt/pulleys from water.
      Also I'm new here and I can't fill out my signature from my phone. It's a 2007 aveo ls.
      TIA

Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      hi there.

does your rpm dip very fast when u're braking?

whats your transmission?

was your CEL lighted up?

try turning off air conditioning and drive and see if this problem occurs.

it can be due to your MAP sensor, IAC sensor.

Thanks
      No check engine light. It's an auto.
      I do not see those sensors causing the airbag light to come on. Unless you have proof otherwise.
      Thanks though.

Still love my daily driver Pickles's Avatar
      Thanks
      Airbag light most likely came on because of battery. Why the heck would you disconnect the negative terminal? When working with DC you ALWAYS disconnect positive. Reason being the alternator or battery can ground itself to something unintended. And boom. Say bye bye to you're electrical system. Anyways I'm not sure what you're problem is. You found out the problem, fixed it and you're airbag light came on? Even a basic Google search should show you that the airbag light will come on sometimes when changing the battery

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
      Airbag light most likely came on because of battery. Why the heck would you disconnect the negative terminal? When working with DC you ALWAYS disconnect positive. Reason being the alternator or battery can ground itself to something unintended. And boom. Say bye bye to you're electrical system. Anyways I'm not sure what you're problem is. You found out the problem, fixed it and you're airbag light came on? Even a basic Google search should show you that the airbag light will come on sometimes when changing the battery
      One: when the negative is disconnected, THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO WAY FOR ANYTHING TO GROUND OUT. So you're wrong on that one. Have you ever looked at a repair manual? ALL of the one's I have seen say to disconnect the negative terminal. Either way, doesn't matter who's right or wrong, as long as one side is disconnected, it's taken out of the system and cannot flow current.
      Two: Searching Google was worthless. EVERYBODY said "take it to the stealership." Being that this is a forum, I "thought" someone may actually answer with some useful knowledge. Apparently not.
      The light came on AFTER everything was put back together.
      I was basically asking if there's a way to reset the light. Someone said disconnect the battery, absolutely useless.
      Sorry if it seems I'm being a smartass, but if I ask for help and someone answers being a smartass or having an attitude, they're getting the same thing back.

Still love my daily driver Pickles's Avatar
      Thanks
      Why so hostile? Anyways as I said that you didn't read properly:

When you're battery dies or you change it the airbag light may come on. It happens. It will go away after some time

And I was only being a smartass due to your attitude towards another member when he tried to help

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
      Why so hostile? Anyways as I said that you didn't read properly:

When you're battery dies or you change it the airbag light may come on. It happens. It will go away after some time

And I was only being a smartass due to your attitude towards another member when he tried to help
      Would you explain how I was having an attitude towards the other guy?
      I answered his questions, said I don't see how those sensors would cause the airbag light to come on, unless he could prove otherwise. (With hard info of course) Then I thanked him for responding.

I'm not following the "Anyways as I said that you didn't read properly" part.

I completely understood what you said in your previous post. But I had already searched Google before I even joined. Even the people that had it come on (after lets say something like a dead battery) still had to take it to the dealership.

As far as it going off by itself, it's been on since a few days before I joined and posted this. Maybe a week before.
      Somewhere I saw something about 150 starts before it resets, is that close to being right?
      Last edited by 79jasper; 01-27-2013 at 01:23 PM.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      The gm service manual states to remove the negitave first and put it on last, i personally disconnect both.