•  
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Water Pump .. .to replace or not '06 90,000 miles

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      Do you know, what steps were used confirm the WP is leaking? The WP cannot be seen without first removing the timing cover, and it's likely that was not done. More likely is seeing coolant running from or near the bottom of the timing cover. The problem with that is the thermostat housing is located above the timing belt, and it could be very easy to mis-diagnose this leak, if the coolant is running down from the T-stat housing onto or near the timing cover. This could be the case even if the factory plastic housing was replaced, because it's not at all uncommon for one of the hoses or the housing gasket area to leak sometime after installation. If the leak is from the T-stat, your $800 repair could become $100, or even zero if it's just tightening the bolts or clamps to stop the leak. Regarding the rough running, how long since the spark plugs were last replaced?

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      thank you for your reply. I did not own the car when the timing belt blew or I might have advised to change the pump. However, it was the Chevy dealership that did the work. so not sure why they did not change the pump except maybe the owner said not to.

I understand the guaranty would not cover labor (I'm not stupid). As for repairs and labor, I use Firestone because I trust their polices and and guaranties. I will look around town and see if I can get it cheaper. I think maybe $600 is about as low as I have heard. I am just the kind of person who over estimates. thanks for all your input. My original question can not really be answered of course. Because as been told to me here and there. Who can predict the wear of a wounded part.

The money I have put in is routine maintenance of broken parts that have come of age. I realize that this is normal and a given. And I know that any car would have such maintenance. I am just trying to see if I can get a ballpark estimate of how long I can hang on with this "leaking" water pump before it actually stops working. anyway. I am over it thanks for all your help. have a nice day.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12