•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water Pump .. .to replace or not '06 90,000 miles

What do you mean there's no turbo? northguest47's Avatar
      Thanks

Water Pump .. .to replace or not '06 90,000 miles

So I am soon to book a session to change out the timing belt.. the first time this was done the dealer replaced the water pump 0-ring.. this time around a mechanic asked me if I wanted to do the water pump as well as the timing belt... I know he might be upselling so I said no for now, but I'm wondering what others think.

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      You're really early with a second belt at 90K - how many miles when the belt was changed the first time? I would say definietly yes to the WP the second time around. And also replace the 2 pulleys, which are just as important as the WP. They all have bearings, and any one of these parts failing will produce the same grim outcome.

I'll keep it and add a turbo thankful_ragamuffin's Avatar
      Thanks
      At the shop, we encourage customers to change water pumps that are timing belt driven when the belt is changed. The pumps are generally not too expensive and add minimal time to the job. Some kits even include the pump at a discounted price. If the pump craters not long after you do the job, you will pay the same labour charges for the t-belt change all over again - and the original installing shop can refuse to warranty the original install.

Still love my daily driver
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      I think you'd be fine as long as it's not broken and not leaking.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      How long can water pump "leak" before it actually breaks. I don't have the money to do the whole job!

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Robin_Tursso View Post
      How long can water pump "leak" before it actually breaks. I don't have the money to do the whole job!
      A person can't predict how long a wounded part can last. Because the pump is a critical part in your engine's valve timing, getting it fixed should be a priority. The difference in price between a Gates timing kit with pump and without pump is US$33. Shop time to change it is low, or you can use the excellent instructions posted on this site (my techs prefer these to the pro instructions on Mitchell) and do it yourself. Delaying could cost you an engine. Good luck.

Thanks
      I was told by my Chevy dealer that an aftermarket GM waterpump has a lifetime warranty. So if you do change it out and it is GM make sure the dealer follows up on the lifetime warranty for GM waterpumps. this does not apply to factory waterpump!
      Last edited by Robin_Tursso; 06-13-2015 at 05:17 PM.

Thanks
      Thank you for your reply. Yah, doing it myself is not an option. Also my personal friend mechanic won't even attempt it, as it is encased and the timing is critical. My car has been idling kinda rough lately, do you think that might have something to do with the valves? That is what I read somewhere.

There are so many more miles left on this timing belt. I hate to have to pay for this waterpump so early in the game. What happens if the waterpump brakes? Does it mess with timing belt, which messes with valves and so on!!..... I wonder if I should just sell the darn thing. It has cost me over $3000 in the last year alone.!!
      Last edited by Robin_Tursso; 06-13-2015 at 05:19 PM.

Thanks
      My first timing belt was changed at 50,000 after it broke and blew the valves. I am now at 90,000 and the water pump needs replacing. I have at least 20000 more miles on this timing belt. It only costs $40 for the water pump and the GM replacement is lifetime warranty. So I would change it now, before it goes and you have to go into that encasement before you need to for the timing belt!!
      Last edited by Robin_Tursso; 06-13-2015 at 05:32 PM.

Thanks
      I just checked at Rockauto and an Airtex timing kit with water pump is listed at $68.79. My estimator program is at work, but I can't see the job taking more than 4 hours at a shop. If you supplied the part from Rockauto to a shop with a $100 an hour shop rate, even with taxes and fees you shouldn't exceed $550 total. The $800 you quoted in another post seems excessive. If you can't do the work yourself, perhaps a friend or co-worker could do it for you, or maybe you need to find a different shop than the one you are using. They did you no favours by not selling you a pump last time. As for the GM lifetime warranty on the ACDelco pump, it would cover the part, not the labour to install it which is the biggest portion of the cost. As for selling the car, how much of the $3000 you spent last year was for routine maintenance and how much was for repairs? Is the shop you are using competent with these little cars? Were all the "repairs" legitimate? With a little care, these cars are quite reliable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast