•  

Thread: Timing belt repair question about the lower cover

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

Timing belt repair question about the lower cover

Hello group, I'm just starting a timing belt job and I am at a point where I am not understanding how to remove the lower outer cover, the top was weird that it needed to pull up and I came inside since it's dark here in Long Beach, Ca. I was wondering I have the bolts, nuts removed from the lower cover and it looks like about 3-5 bolt I can't remember for sure, I have the lower pully removed, should the the lower cover slide down? It doesn't seem to pull off.

I feel like I should be able to do this job but the previous poster has me a little scared when I get to the belt tensioner/timing issue. I've read and seen a few posts on best practice to get it back. One guy had an interesting way which was to tighten the water pump after moving the peak to the very right side u channel he said once you spin the crank 2x that peak will got to the left and it should be just to the right of the tensioner peak as the tensioner will pull it back to the left under load.

I should be able to get to that part tomorrow mid day. If anyone can help me on the cover that would be great.

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      Assuming your '07 is the same as the earlier first gens, the cam sprockets need to be removed, in order for the back timing cover to be removed. However, it's also possible to get the water pump out without removing that cover, by working it out downward past the cover. However, doing it that way becomes quite a bit more difficult if the ambient temp is cold, so that's a consideration as well.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Hello Avguy,

I'm referring to the outer cover there is a top and bottom and I can't quite understand the method to remove it.

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      Again, unless they changed something on the '07, once the harmonic balancer is removed, the lower outer cover is held on by a few 10mm bolts around the cover perimeter.

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Youve got to use an impact gun to remove the harmonic balancer nut. It's a big one, 22mm maybe. After that you can remove the cover.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      You guys, I got it off, I didn't notice there is one 10mm inside a support section on the bottom right...
      I'll tell you what I really did to screw myself, I misunderstood a torque value and stripped three 10mm bolts I had to helicoil luckily I had the room and did it once before. Now my next joke issue is I somehow miscounted my teeth and painted the top spocket points in the wrong spot.. it isn't that hard to do this timing belt but damn... I keep shooting myself in the foot.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Also on the covers there are clip points that you need a pick to pull up to pop it off I wish I knew that... it's real dark where I'm working on this car... hope tomorrow I'll get back at it... and finish...

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by dfphoto View Post
      Also on the covers there are clip points that you need a pick to pull up to pop it off I wish I knew that... it's real dark where I'm working on this car... hope tomorrow I'll get back at it... and finish...

Good luck. After you put the belt on, turn the engine by hand a couple times to make sure its all right.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to GreenpointAveo For This Useful Post:

dfphoto (01-07-2021)

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Thank you Greenpoint, I did I found a YT where the guy explained how to setup the timing marks and it worked well it was actually one of the easier parts of this.... getting the belt on was a big issue...

Tomorrow need to deal with the heater hose... I found a mechanic advise site and he said the chevy way is to go from the top without removing anything... Yet while I got the flexible tool and it loosens the clamp I see no way to pull the clamp off or the hose but I will try tomorrow.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      So I was able to replace the heater hose with a the clamp tool, I had to remove the battery and removed the bolts to the radiator tank and wipers but I was I able to get my hand on the hose to wiggle it but I used a pick to pull the hose to loosen it up, the radiator tank had to be loosened to get the other side of the hose off near the motor at least for myself, I had a hard time getting the clamp off there as there is very little space. Again, I used a pick to lift the hose to loosen it up btw I used the pick to grab the hose clamp by the engine firewall and that helped out, so no need to go under the car and remove the starter and all that...