•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: timing belt?

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

timing belt?

what is this timing belt issue i keep seeing? im approaching 60 000km on my 2010 aveo5, i would like to know signs of when i should change some parts, what are the first parts to go if any at all, i saw online that the aveo 2010 does not have a good reliability rating but does not seem to be that bad? i want to keep this car for a long time, thank !

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      timing belt interval on the ecotec engine is 100k miles. on the E-TECH its 60,000 miles.

Still love my daily driver Pickles's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by jayman View Post
      timing belt interval on the ecotec engine is 100k miles. on the E-TECH its 60,000 miles.
      This. The ecotecs arent known for breaking belts early either. and the main problem with the e-tec is the idler pulley

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
      This. The ecotecs arent known for breaking belts early either. and the main problem with the e-tec is the idler pulley
      Were is this located, how can i check to see if its okay, also id like to just check everything that could get me staled

Thanks!

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      I have a 2005 Aveo sedan and had the timing belt replaced(in addition water pump and serpentine belt) at 52,000 miles in April 2012 and now at 70,000 miles and 18 months the belt apparently has broken as the car made a screetching sound and then shut off. This just happened yesterday morning. Will not restart. Could it be something other than the belt be the problem? Idler pulley?

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      Very easy to pull the top half of the timing belt cover and get a look inside to check the belt and the other parts. One other easy way to check the belt is take off the oil fill cap and check to see if the valves are moving while it's being cranked.
      You're indicating that the work was done at a shop. If it does turn out to be a belt-related problem (which is by no means certain until confirmed), there should be some type of warranty on that work because 18K miles is WAY too early for this stuff to fail.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      unfortunately i know no one that offers a waarenty on the replacement belt like the one that come from the factory original.

to buskirk -> do you know only the belt, water pump and serp were replaced? did they do the tensioner or the idlers? if not that is most likely what failed.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit View Post
      unfortunately i know no one that offers a waarenty on the replacement belt like the one that come from the factory original.

to buskirk -> do you know only the belt, water pump and serp were replaced? did they do the tensioner or the idlers? if not that is most likely what failed.
      Thanks. They only replaced the belt, water pump and serp, nothing else was replaced. You are correct that they do not warrant beyond 1 year for water pump but the shop indicated that they would work with me on some $ relief as I do alot of business with them on other vehicles.

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by buskirk View Post
      Thanks. They only replaced the belt, water pump and serp, nothing else was replaced. ....
      It's fairly common knowledge in the DIY world and on this forum, that it's important to replace everything. And the parts outfits are on-board with this as well, with many of them selling kits with all 4 parts packaged together.
      So I'm just curious if that shop had recommended you replace all 4 parts? And if so, how much extra were they asking for the 2 pulleys to be replaced along with the other 2 parts?

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by avguy View Post
      It's fairly common knowledge in the DIY world and on this forum, that it's important to replace everything. And the parts outfits are on-board with this as well, with many of them selling kits with all 4 parts packaged together.
      So I'm just curious if that shop had recommended you replace all 4 parts? And if so, how much extra were they asking for the 2 pulleys to be replaced along with the other 2 parts?

No they did not recommend that I replace all 4 parts. In retrospect I guess I should have taken it to someone that was familiar with Aveo's. My son's father-in-law who is a mechanic(did not work on this originally) has determined that you are correct that one of the idler's did fail and now so far 14 of the 16 valves are bent. What is your recommendation? Cheaper to replace the valves or the complete top portion? Check for piston damage? Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast