•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about getting a transmision flush done

Thanks

Thinking about getting a transmision flush done

My 2008 Aveo sedan has 111,000 miles, and the transmission fluid is a light brown. I've read up on changing the tranny fluid by dropping the pan and changing about 2 quarts at a time, but I'm just not real keen on pending time under the car any more.

A "Jiffy Lube" - type place near me that I use for oil changes has a transmission flush service for $129. They say it isn't pressure - just fluid replacement. And it takes about 1/2 an hour. I've read several posts here on the various "compatible" fluid type, so it would be important to nail down exactly which one they would use, or if they would let me bring my own fluid.

Some questions:
      [1] Would you consider something like this at this price? Assuming it includes 6+ quarts of the correct fluid and a new filter?
      [2] In one thread (http://www.aveoforum.com/forum/f82/t...72/index2.html) post #14 mentioned the residual fluid in such a machine contaminating the new fluid of a different type. Would there be enough residual in such a machine to worry about this?

Ed

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      Unless they eliminated the tranny drain bolt in the '08, It's not necessary to drop the pan. I'd never have a flush done, and would never even walk into an Iffy Lube, but that's just me.

If you absolutely don't want to DIY, then I'd recommend taking 6 quarts of fluid to a quality independent shop and have them do 3 drain-and-fills. Use the fluid speced in your owner's manual (T-IV, unless they changed to something else later on). Again, JMO.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      I have mixed feelings either way. But #1 yes you need to do something about it and glad your serious about keeipng the trans in shape. Too often people just forget the trans...

I would say if you have money and you are taking it to a reputable business to get it done, then yes, get the flush. When they flush it and put the new filter in, it really is better than any amount of drain and fill jobs because their machines filter the old fluid and push it back in with new until the inside of the trans is clean. This is the most important part.

I did my own drop the pan, put in a new filter, put it back, filled and drained two more times... The fluid is just now starting to get pink and will probably take another two drain and fills to get it nice and clean. In my honest opinion, it's not really worth it. I'm probably going to spend another 24 dollars on top of the 40ish + I have already spent draining and filling and replacing the trans filter. It get's up there in price... So why not do it the best and easiest way?

Side note though I agree with avguy I wouldn't just take it to a jiffy lube. Their staff is probably untrained for the most part, and the few that are probably don't care because they are getting paid rock bottom dollar for work and are just waiting for a dealership to hire them.. Definitely take it to an independent shop. The price should be roughly the same anywhere for a trans flush and you won't have to worry about a reputable independent shop putting in the wrong fluid, forgetting to replace the filter, etc. etc. Oil changes at quick lubes are bad enough. Transmissions are much more finicky about a job screw up breaking them.

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      Most places wont refill with the proper fluid. I always change the trans fluid myself.
      2004 Aveo beater car
      2005 Aveo LT. 5-speed beater car (DOA)

Thanks
      I have access to the Auto Skills Shop on the local military base. It's staffed by DIY-ers with grease and oil permanently embedded under their fingernails! They are familiar with the transfer method of fluid change. I know there's pictures on the forum of how-to, so I won't be *completely* lost.

Looking at the PDF of the transmission and cooler - would it be better to come off the xmsn cooler outlet tube to flush out the cooler too?

Ed
      Last edited by EdNerd; 04-07-2018 at 08:58 PM.

Thanks
      Just read this notice on this web page (about 2/3 of the way down) that warns against flushing an older high-mileage tranny. (Mine has 111,000 miles and has never been serviced.)

To Flush or Not to Flush?

Flushing out the old ATF and replacing it with new fluid can prolong the life of a transmission, provided the fluid is changed fairly regularly, say every 30,000 to 50,000 miles. But if the transmission on a high milege vehicle (say over 100,000 miles) has neer been flushed, it's probably best to NOT flush the fluid. Here's why: The detergents in new ATF may loosen up accumulated crud inside the transmission, which could cause some problems within a few thousand miles or so after the flush. So if your fluid has never been changed and your vehicle has a lot of miles on it, it is probably best to just leave the fluid alone and top off the fluid level as needed if it is low.
      Any thoughts??
      Ed

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by EdNerd View Post
      ... Any thoughts?? ....
      I already posted mine.

Thanks
      I'm not thinking of any kind of shop machine flush - especially not the power kind! Just where you run tubing into fresh fluid and let the tranny's own pump suck up new fluid as the old drains out.

Whichever way - a fluid replace or multiple drain-and-fills, you are still (hopefully) replacing nearly all the fluid with fresh. And so would risk the detergent issue stated in the quote. Yes?? No??

Thanks
      I've never read (elsewhere) of ATF detergents being an issue at any point in the life of the transmission. The nasties are loosened up due to excessive turbulence of the external flushing pump, and that's what can cause transmissions to fail.

Thanks
      Sounds right to me! Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast