•  

Thread: Stuck hatch handle

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Stuck hatch handle

I've got a POS '09 hatchback and the hatch handle has been 'sticky' lately. I've had to manually reset the handle for a while, it would stay in the pulled position after opening, but now it's getting tough to open it as well. I sprayed it with some WD 40, but it didn't change anything.
      I assume it's some sort of bad spring? If so, is there a way I can fix it on my own?
      It's hardly the worst thing wrong with the car, but I use the hatch pretty often, so it would be nice for it to function. TIA

What do you mean there's no turbo? FlaAveo5's Avatar
      Thanks
      Hey. Dont know if this is a help. BUT when MY Aveo was NEW...hell the hatchback mechanism was replaced over 10 times in 3yrs. I live in south Fla. and they kept telling me it was the 'heat' making the plastic handle and its parts stretch, well, over the next 11yrs with no warranty and still have the car, it has never 'stretched' again. It could be as simple as a loose mech.behind the handle,
      not on tightly, so lube wont help. At that age and I assume lack of care?? As you say it is a 'POS'...maybe it is in need of new linkage behind the handle. It is a cheap replace on I think on partsgeek.com or rockauto.com

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Thanks for the reply! I wouldn't be surprise if it was lack of care, the car was a piece of trash when I got it 3 years ago, and it's been subjected to weather extremes since (Midwest winters, Southwest summers), and it's just getting worse. I'll look into the linkage.
      I had an '07 that was beginning to have the same problem when I had to retire it in 2016, that car was a tank, I wish I still had it.
      Last edited by aiee; 08-18-2020 at 05:13 PM.

What do you mean there's no turbo? northguest47's Avatar
      Thanks
      Aaie that makes me laugh I had the same problem on my '06. For me it was the latch getting rusty for sure, but I never got it replaced. It is certainly frustrating to have to 'pull' the latch mechanism out manually or else the door wouldn't shut! And I would always forget and it would just 'bounce' when I would attempt to shut the car.
      Any thoughts on a run to the scrap yard? Curious to know if you solve this without replacing...