•  

Thread: Reprogram service to reset the airbag control module?

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Reprogram service to reset the airbag control module?

Has anyone used a reprogram service to reset the airbag control module?
      Did it work OK?
      We recently purchased a 2009 Aveo 5 LT that had previously been in a collision. The airbags deployed. The lot where we got the car had purchased the car at auction and repaired the damage and replaced the air bags. The OnStar diagnostics reported an issue with the airbags, but my.chevrolet.com diagnostics reported all systems (including the airbag system) are normal. I took it to the Chevrolet dealer, and they want to replace the airbag control module (of course they do) for $850 or so. I can get a module on-line for $335 or I can send it in to reprogram it for $50. (Airbag Computer Modules New, Used, Exchanged or Repaired. Airbag Systems, Inc.).
      Any opinions?

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by nsa_sailor View Post
      Has anyone used a reprogram service to reset the airbag control module?
      Did it work OK?
      We recently purchased a 2009 Aveo 5 LT that had previously been in a collision. The airbags deployed. The lot where we got the car had purchased the car at auction and repaired the damage and replaced the air bags. The OnStar diagnostics reported an issue with the airbags, but my.chevrolet.com diagnostics reported all systems (including the airbag system) are normal. I took it to the Chevrolet dealer, and they want to replace the airbag control module (of course they do) for $850 or so. I can get a module on-line for $335 or I can send it in to reprogram it for $50. (Airbag Computer Modules New, Used, Exchanged or Repaired. Airbag Systems, Inc.).
      Any opinions?
      Is there any hard evidence that the airbags wouldn't work?

One option is simply to leave it the way it is. I've driven cars for over 40 years that had no airbags - as two of my current four cars predate having airbags, and they still have none. I'm still alive and well, and I'm not losing any sleep over it.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      nsa_sailor:

You may have to bite the bullet and have that module replaced. I can't say for certain on Aveo specifically, but I don't think programming will fix this. If I were a shopowner, I wouldn't want the liability of a customer/client being in a crash with the chance of the supplemental restraint not deploying as designed. If it were mine, I'd call surrounding collision shops and get their take. I'm glad to see you're making the effort to get educated on the subject, and forums would be the first place I'd look as well.

HTHY and let us know what you find.