•  

Thread: Replacing Automatic Window Motor of 2008 Aveo 5

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Replacing Automatic Window Motor of 2008 Aveo 5

Hi folks, first-time poster here. I did some poking around the forums but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for, so I'll pose the question here.

I have a 2008 Chevy Aveo 5. Over the past week, the front passenger automatic window has been stuttering. Today it stopped working altogether. I'm guessing the motor that raises and lowers the window is broken and was hoping to replace it myself rather than pay an exorbitant dealer fee.

I've found some threads on removing the door panel and don't anticipate that being a problem. However, is there somewhere that I can find more detailed instructions on how to fix this specific problem once I have the door apart?

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      First a disclaimer that I've never had to mess with an Aveo window motor. That said, I do have lots of information about window motors in other vehicles (Chrysler vans). It's been well established with these vans that the window motors get clogged up with carbon dust coming from the brushes. A number of folks, including myself have had good success in taking apart the motor and cleaning out this dust. Although it doesn't seem like a lot of accumulated carbon inside, it's enough to make the motor either erratic or stop working completely.
      Of course I can't say if this is the problem with your Aveo, but cleaning these motors is a very easy thing do on the Chryslers. And I would guess that most of these window motors are similar. What you are looking for are 2-4 small screws which allows the outer case to be removed, and the inside to be brushed out. If you can find and have access to those screws, I suggest you give that a try - it's easy and, even better the cost is zero.