•  

Thread: Replaced Timing Belt, Still Blew Up on Me

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Replaced Timing Belt, Still Blew Up on Me

So after visiting this site I realized that I needed to change my timing belt on my 2005 Chevy Aveo. At 66,000 miles I got the belt changed at a service center. They botched the job, and through this forum, I realized that the belt had been put on one tooth off. After a week I took it to the dealership and got the belt realigned. Car ran fine.

Flash forward 3-4 months and I was driving about 70mph on the highway when my car quit on me. I got it towed to the closest dealership and three days later they informed me that one of the pulleys that held the timing belt failed, which is essentially the same thing as the belt failing. It damaged the head gasket. So now, even though I replaced the belt when I was supposed to, I'm still going through a busted belt situation. The estimate is $2000.

The car has 75,000 miles on it. Additionally, the gear shifter has been stuck (and no brake lights) for about a year and the dealership has tried 4 separate times to fix it. At this point, is it even worth it to sink $2,000 on this car's engine, or should I just get rid of it (despite the fact that I still owe $2,400). Is it conceivable that I could get some good years/miles out of this car if I fix this damage now?

Help!!!

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Thanks
      Gear Shifter? (I have an auto, I can not get it out of park sometimes as well as the brake lights not working as well).

As for the belt, did you replace the tensioner and idler pulley as well?

What is wrong with the car now? Did they look to see the extent of the damage?

Thanks
      I still haven't gotten the whole story. I don't know if it was the idler pulley or some other pulley part that failed. The main extent of the damage is the "head gasket," which is an $1100 part.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      a head gasket is not more that $100, a HEAD might be $1100.. and you would need a gasket to put it on.

this is a tough situation. 1. you need a better dealer (or service). 2. your putting factory new, factory priced parts on a 75K miles car. 3. It doesnt seem (not to offend) that you know what is being done for the price you are paying. uninformed, you always get screwed.

get an exact explanation. ask about a rebuild/used head or engine. You should be able to get this fixed much cheaper.

Thanks
      No offense taken, petrified; I don't have a lot of knowledge about cars, which is why I have found this forum very helpful in the past.

It is the head, which he quoted me $1100 for. He also mentioned that they could try and rework the damaged head, which could end up being about $300 cheaper... That seems to make more sense than putting brand new parts in an aging car.

If I can get 2-3 more good years out of the car, then fixing it now will be worth it. My worry is that another overlooked little part will cause another rampage that'll cost me another $2000 out of the blue.

Thanks
      Is the "head" really a cylinder head? Or something else entirely?

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      head usually refers to cylinder head yes. make sure they replaced all the necessary timing components, and such and you should be good for another 60k miles.

rebuilding a head (really rebuilding/reman almost) should be $600-700.
      If they just repair your bent valves etc, then you should be able to use the head for $400-500 in work.

You could also look for a low miles/good used head.

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Thanks
      Re-machined heads go for $400 and under on ebay as well

Thanks
      I have seen almost new engine, <20k miles, for $400 on craigslist before. Didn't purchase because mine runs fine but look around you might find something better. I always replace all pulleys and tentioners that have bearings that can fail when doing a timing belt job because it may triple the cost of the job in parts its always cheaper than a tow and new engine.