•  

Thread: Redtop battery

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks

Redtop battery

Does anyone know if a computer program change is required when you install a AGM battery such as a Redtop in the Aveo...I am reading elsewhere computer needs to be reprogrammed so the charging system changes how it charges these batteries ?

I put a Redtop in and noted it now charges as 14.25 volts and was 14.5 before...OEM battery dropped to 11.5 volts with just the key on the Redtop stays at 13 with the key on....of course it's brand new, but 11.5 volts pretty sad showing for the OEM battery.....

Thanks
      No changes are necessary.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
      No changes are necessary.
      thx Doax still waiting for new rad to appear...and I will say I did everything I could think of to fix the old one, I don't know what the rad shop used to try and fix it but I think whatever they used seeped into the holes and I can't get it out.....so had to chuck it and order a new one.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
      thx Doax still waiting for new rad to appear...and I will say I did everything I could think of to fix the old one, I don't know what the rad shop used to try and fix it but I think whatever they used seeped into the holes and I can't get it out.....so had to chuck it and order a new one.

Doax prior to installing this Redtop battery I tested the voltage with the car running and it was 14.6-14.5, after installing the Redtop I tested it right away it was 14.25 after running it a bit it's output is now 14 V.

Did the car detect it was a AGM battery and reduce it's voltage output or is this some weird coincidence. I can actually notice the headlights are dimmer.....I didn't persay change the battery because of a problem, I just replaced the OEM battery because it was a little light for winter cranking up here...

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      did you test voltage across the battery or from the alternator to a ground?

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit View Post
      did you test voltage across the battery or from the alternator to a ground?
      Voltage was tested across the battery.....I do this test on all my cars usually once a year, test across the battery with the car not running and then again once it's started..I always get 14.5 or above running and anywhere between 12-13 not running.

For some reason since I installed this Redtop in the Aveo, the across the battery voltage is dropping with the car running...but is a solid 13 with the car off and doesn't move during the starting of the car.

The OEM battery was pulling down to almost 11volts during starting..(this is a Saskatchewan load test)

It's almost as if it detected I had put in an AGM battery...they like to be charged at a lower voltage so I have read.

OR my alternator is going to die...or the OEM battery was making the alternator charge full bore IDK..the more I work on this car the more weird things I see !