•  

Thread: Rear shock damage

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Rear shock damage

I haven't posted in a while and I tried searching Google for this earlier as well as this site. About a week ago my car started making a rattling noise from the driver side rear wheel. When I got home I jacked it up and saw the shock was bad and needed to be replaced. No problem so I bought shocks and finally had time to put them in this weekend. I started to remove the "carpeting" from the trunk to find the bolt on top and found...
      Name:  1530390_10151906358772396_166347637_n.jpg
Views: 545
Size:  38.4 KB

I have no idea how to fix this aside from getting this welded. Still not sure I would trust it. My car is a 2010 Aveo and it has 84,000 miles. Would the warranty cover this? Would an insurance agency cover this?

Almost time to do my timing belt xintersecty's Avatar
      Thanks
      Was somebody shooting at your car? Well if there is an exit hole there has to be an entry hole. Did you find that. I almost have not idea of what part of the car is that. Can you post a bigger picture for context?

The rear shocks are held on the inside of the rear wheel well. Not accessed by the inside of the car. If you can't find a welder you can grind it flat, sand it and bondo that repair just to keep things from rusting.
      Please do not power off, firmware update pending.....

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      It looks like the rear shock mount gave way and the top of the stud on the shock came throught the wheel well. I'd just knock it back as flush as possible with a hammer, sand it down, and use some fiberglass resin and matting to patch it. Then I'd primer and paint it. Use a can of rubberized undercoat on it in the outside of the wheelwell.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by milesvinson View Post
      It looks like the rear shock mount gave way and the top of the stud on the shock came throught the wheel well. I'd just knock it back as flush as possible with a hammer, sand it down, and use some fiberglass resin and matting to patch it. Then I'd primer and paint it. Use a can of rubberized undercoat on it in the outside of the wheelwell.
      I think this is what happened, has this happened to anyone here? I have never heard of this and the two dealerships I talked to never have either.