•  

Thread: Really Rough Idle

Should I keep it?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Really Rough Idle

This is for a 2009 Suzuki Swift+, 60,000kms

This morning when I started my car it idled really rough, to the point where it almost stalled and threw a P0303 code. I pulled the plugs and found that 3 out of the 4 cylinders where flooded. I put these other plugs in that I had (platinums for this make and model of car). After starting it again the idle was still rough. If I revved the engine to 2000 RPM it ran smooth. After a while the rough idle went away. I drop it on the highway for about 60km's without any issues. Stopped the car and it idled perfectly fine. No issues at all. I let the car sit for about 4 hours then went to start it again. It idled rough again (but was good at 2000 rpm).

Prior to driving it on the highway, I reset the code and it hasn't come back. Has anyone seen this before? According to the dealer the coil pack and plugs were changed at about 40,000kms as part of the recall for those parts.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      how do you know the cylinders were flooded? and were they flooded because you were trying to start it after it stalled?

the 2009 in canada has the ecotec engine correct? there is a US recall on the spark plugs and boots. but if you have platinums it sounds like you have had that done (I have not yet).

I would think if it is actually flooding, you are washing your o2. This is bad for two reasons, one the running problem you have, and two it will kill your cat.

The p0303 code, was it the # 3 cylinder that was dry? and not flooded? that is the cylinder with the misfire. I would say you have a clogged injector causing the issue.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      I pulled the plugs and 3 of them where wet, the other was dry. I don't know which one is the 3rd cylinder but the dry one was the right most plug.

It is an ecotec engine. The plugs I took out were the ones installed as part of the recall so that leads me to believe that the recall work was actually done. The platinum's I put in are ones that I bought. I wanted to make sure the plugs didn't fail.

Would a clogged injector work properly after the engine warms up or when the the engine rev's up? It seemed to run fine after it warmed up.

How about the ignition coil?

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Could it also be the engine coolant temperature sensor? I had a problem with the car over heating about a week ago due to low coolant. I wonder if that affected the sensor. Like I said, it runs great when the car is warmed.

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by someguy View Post
      Could it also be the engine coolant temperature sensor? I had a problem with the car over heating about a week ago due to low coolant. I wonder if that affected the sensor. Like I said, it runs great when the car is warmed.
      How much of an overheat - way up, or just slightly over normal? Way up could mean head gasket problems, but hopefully that's not the case. What caused the coolant leak?

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      I think the head gasket it fine (it ran dangerously hot for a few seconds before I turned the car off). In any case, the car runs very nice once warmed up. Also, there's no coolant in the oil which is a good sign. I think the coolant levels just got low over time (evaporation maybe?). The levels are fine now and haven't gone down in the last week.

I'm going to try the coolant temperature sensor. The only issue is that it's next to impossible to get Aveo parts around here. No one carries anything (which is odd because there are tonnes of them on the road).

I'll keep it and add a turbo Aveo5_boy's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by someguy View Post
      I'm going to try the coolant temperature sensor. The only issue is that it's next to impossible to get Aveo parts around here. No one carries anything (which is odd because there are tonnes of them on the road).
      Try rockauto.com for parts....they are pretty fast with shipping.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      The guys at NAPA say they can get it in in a couple days.

The coolant temperature sensor is behind the thermostat housing. That's that sensor on the metal part that's attached to the housing (after the thermostat)?

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      FYI, it was the ignition coil.