•  
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Random High Idle

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      hi, i do have a similar problem with high RPM & check engine light on. What would you suggest.

Thanks
      I also have similar problem.
      I own Aveo LS 1.4,Limited version 2008 model. I am facing high rpm problem for last 5 months. The dealer has been trying to resolve but unsuccessfully. Initially the engine sized due to overheat due to crack in coolant bottle. He attended the same. He did the engine work. Replaced all the sleeves and valves. Since then this problem making my life miserable. The rpm increases to 1500 to 2000 whenever engine goes to idle mode during drive. He now says ECM is defective.

Why this should happen? Is the dealer correct? Is the dealer responsible for this problem?
      Would any body on forum help?
      Thanks
      Hemant

Thanks
      Hi, Hemant. Welcome to the forum.

You never experienced the high idle problem before the engine was repaired?

Thanks
      The problem was there before engine repair, but not to this severity. In the mean while the dealer has erased the ECU programme and reloaded it.( As per the dealer). Since then at least for couple of days now it seems problem has disappeared. Earlier the dealer used to reset the programme but problem reappeared repeatedly. I have lost the confidence in the dealership but i have no option now as the engine repair warranty is involved. I am thinking to sell the car (even after spending about Rs 100000 ($ 1600). I am so much frustrated. I will never buy Chevy in future. Car is good but spares are costly and dealer service in Surat,India is very very poor. I suspect dealers are fooling customer to extract money in labour charges and spares.

I became aware to my utter surprise of one more thing, that none of the car of none of the manufacturer in this segment, has an audible alarm on high temp, coolant loss or oil loss which is fundamental protection for any rotating machine. The problems can arise due to many reasons but single most probable reason is poor workmanship or defective parts. I am a maintenance engineer in instrumentation so I can tell the cost for adding the audible alarm is insignificant especially when they already provided beeper for safety belt and door lock. Its a matter of programming or at the most some wiring changes. But it seems company has apathy towards this need of customer support. Instead car manufacturers have clandestine motive to make money out of failure of oil,coolant,over temp, fan failure etc. resulting in costly damage to car. Provision of the audible alarms will alert the user of the impending damage and will save from costly repair. It is obvious that user will not be vigilant enough to look at silent indicator for the over temp/oil loss etc while driving on a busy highway. I think the provision should be made mandatory as it is also a user safety aspect because unexpected seized/stalled car on a highway has severe consequences.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to hemant For This Useful Post:

Mags2011 (12-15-2020)

Thanks
      An alarm would be a good idea. My 35 year old 2-cylinder boat engine has one for high temperature, but none of my cars has ever had one. (Almost every one in this segment... no fancy cars.)

Then again, an alarm still relies on the driver to know what to do if/when it sounds. My dad once saw the oil light come on in an old Fiat while driving on the highway and didn't know how serious it was. He thought he could continue driving it to his mechanic. Of course he didn't quite get there before the engine siezed.

Thanks
      PS: glad to hear the ECU reset solved your problem.

Thanks
      Hi Daox. i have a problem with my aveo 2008 salon Manual gear in idle mode if turn on A/C the engine will not increase the rpm i have change the throttle body and change the sparks also change the fuel pump also check there is no leak of air also when check it by the OBD there is not code and still same problem!! could you please advise for fix it? is this problem with the ECU unit? is there relationship between the ECU and increase the RPM? also i would like explain that when drive the car in cold everything is ok but when driving for 1 hour and put the gear to N the RPM will come to 200 then back to 800 sometimes make the A/C off.
      thanks you in advance.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12