•  

Thread: Radio/clock not working

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Radio/clock not working

Hi all:

My neighbor has a 2007, manual, hatchback. He was out earlier this week and his battery died. He had someone jump him and they initially, from what he told me, must have crossed the jumper cables as they initially sparked and one started smoking. They hooked them correctly and got the car jumped. Everything is working ok except he now has no radio and the clock is exhibiting the reset to 1:00 and sometimes not working at all that I read about in a few other posts here.

Both fuses for the clock and radio are good, checked them with a VOM. I know that cars are usually protected with a diode to prevent major damage in case of incorrect hookup like this. The question is, is there a diode somewhere that might influence both the radio and the clock? I have read in one of the posts here regarding the clock problem that diode D1 1N4007 on the clock may cause the clock resetting problem (or it could be a loose connection or a bad clock module), I have not taken the clock out to check any of this yet. If there is not a main diode that could have blown, is there also a separate diode on the radio that may have blown like the one on the clock? I was just waiting to find out if there was a main diode controlling both or a separate one on the radio to check, and if so, how to remove the radio to check it. In another post it mentioned just popping off the clock's cover and a couple of screws underneath to take out he clock, so I will do that.

Thanks,
      Lou

Last edited by LouB; 10-11-2014 at 02:36 PM.