•  

Thread: Question About Drip Under a 2005 Aveo LT

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Question About Drip Under a 2005 Aveo LT

Hi! We purchased a 2005 Aveo LT for my daughter to get back and forth to high school with, and it's been great for her to drive, no issues. However, I've noticed a spot will form on the driveway under the front passenger side that I noticed after she hadn't driven for two days. I just want to make sure that it isn't a major fluid leak. It doesn't seem to match up to any of the types of fluids that go into cars. I've put toweling under it, and it's clear, has no odor, but a slightly greasy feel to it. Like it's water, but with something in it. It is slow to dry (maybe because it's cold and damp now), but it eventually does and doesn't leave a permanent mark like an oil stain.

Today I ran my hand up where I saw a drop dangling, and it came away with clear fluid and some black stuff. The fluid looked and felt like water, and the black stuff was slightly oily. They weren't mixed, they were just both in the same place.

I assume the a/c hose drain is under there someplace. Would it continually drip, even when the car has been parked for a couple days? And could the oiliness be from water dripping and passing over the black gunk? Could that tube be blocked or something causing the drip, and is it something that needs to be fixed? My daughter has been driving it with the defrost since it's winter, so the a/c would be running.

Thanks!

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      Although it certainly sounds like A/C condensate, the only way to know for sure is put it up on ramps, get yourself underneath, and find out exactly where it's coming from. Or if you don't want to do that DIY, a shop could quickly locate the source of the drip, with the vehicle up on a lift.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      I never updated this. Daughter started complaining heat took forever to come up. Turns out there was a leak in the upper radiator hose and the thermostat and thermostat housing need replacing.