•  
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Please read! Please help! (problems after getting new rims)

Thanks

Please read! Please help! (problems after getting new rims)

Ok problem one. Since vie gotten new rims....

1. Automatic when going down the road and how the Rpms like shift on it's own u kno like... An automatic. When it gets near 45 it won't come down from a shift as if I'm in gear 2 cause it's happened to me
      Before n I didn't kno what it was till I looked down n saw I had it shifted on the d2. But thistime it's not likethat n it's stays revvig till I let go of the gas n let it go for a while n does it on it's own with a little jump type push feel. I'm really concerned about this. Do I need a tune up n timing belt have anything to do with it or my aftermarket 17s rims.

2. Driving down the road at 70 n yere was this vibrating towards the back...like every five seconds would be 5 seconds normal then five seconds vibrating...then over n over till I slowed down to get off the ramp.....any ideas as to y?

3. New rims again brakes aren't responding as quickly and as strong when I slamm on the brakes almost ran a stop sign I didn't see it so I slammed on it not to hard but as usual likening would do since I am a rough crazy driver n it kept going n i was pressing it forcefully n took linger to stop with more force...husband says probably the rims since they are a bit heavier n larger than my tiny 14s when I had my 14s everything was good n I never had none of these problem n the day i get my 17s problem are starting to show.....pls dnt letthis be a bad decision... :'-(

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? serega12's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Re: Please read! Please help!

bigger rims definitely do contribute to slower braking, I noticed that too, but that's just something to get used to. Vibration could be because you had to bang the stuff in/out on the rear hub? You need to check the balance on your tires and check your alignment. Not sure about the auto transmission problem, but don't see how the new wheels could cause your transmission to have issues. Might be unrelated, just happened at the same time...
      2006 Chevrolet Aveo a.k.a. Holden Barina – SOLD
      ​2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/TC - SOLD

Thanks

I love the rims I hate the fact it takes ne longer to hit 60-70 n barely can get 80 without a whoooole lot of force on the gas pedal

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? serega12's Avatar
      Thanks

Wow... How heavy are those suckers? I noticed a little bit of an increase in the braking time, but nothing major like not being able to get up to speed and stuff... Maybe that's the reason guy wanted to get smaller wheels?
      2006 Chevrolet Aveo a.k.a. Holden Barina – SOLD
      ​2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/TC - SOLD

Thanks

I think Sergey's right: sounds like a classic tire balance issue causing the vibration.

As for finding you have to use more gas to go fast, remember your speedometer is probably also off a bit. Larger circumference tire than stock means your speedo is now reading low. You're actually going faster than your speedo shows, so you would have to push harder than before to maintain the indicated speed.

You can use this tool to enter the stock vs. new tire size and figure out your speedometer error:

http://wildcatent.freeyellow.com/zookmods/calc.htm

Also, aggressive chunky rims, wider tires and taller ride height increases aerodynamic drag - so you need more gas to go fast.

They do look nice though!
      ---
      Aveo Underdrive Pulleys -- $20 Off Sale This Week. Get more info here.
      ---

Thanks

Soooo y is no one reading my post!!! I need help people!!

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

Re: Please read! Please help! (problems after getting new rims)

it looks like it was addressed.

If you want to know if its wheel tire related, swap the stocks back on and see if it goes away..

if not then it might be the tune up or something else you suspect.

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG
      I think Sergey's right: sounds like a classic tire balance issue causing the vibration.

As for finding you have to use more gas to go fast, remember your speedometer is probably also off a bit. Larger circumference tire than stock means your speedo is now reading low. You're actually going faster than your speedo shows, so you would have to push harder than before to maintain the indicated speed.

You can use this tool to enter the stock vs. new tire size and figure out your speedometer error:

http://wildcatent.freeyellow.com/zookmods/calc.htm

Also, aggressive chunky rims, wider tires and taller ride height increases aerodynamic drag - so you need more gas to go fast.

They do look nice though!

is the speed also read wrong on the computer as well?

I am an advocate of having no rims larger than 15" on an aveo, the SRT rims are off a car that is pretty fast from the factory, Oscare could offer some insight though. Seems like all those problems are because of the new rims( it has been addressed), and the transmission may also have a problem with them, as if the car is telling the speed of the car to the tranny, while the car is going much faster

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

there is not a problem with wheels of any size as far as what the car or computer "thinks"

the issue is feeling the hp loss from the additional weight of the rims, regardless of size. weight also prematurely wears the wheel bearings, etc, as well as making the brakes less efficient. This has nothing to do with wheel diameter, 15" wheels can weigh more than some 17" wheels.

the diameter issue will make the speedo read off, but most likely not the difference she is seeing. the only diameter issue with the computer is if you have abs or traction control with different diameter tires. BUT if the revs and speed sensor are no longer matching the cars learned driving style there could be hesitations etc.

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Thanks

with the last part, thats what i was shooting at lol, i had no idea on how to phase it

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast