•  

Thread: Please please help!

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Please please help!

I recently bought a 2004 Chevy Aveo. The people I bought from told me I needed to replace the thermostat housing-- a "friend" of ours said he knew how to do it, and it was a very easy fix....well shortly after he replaced the thermostat housing, I was driving home and my car over heated...the radiator hose is not getting hot either...I read on another forum that this can happen due to a bad thermostat (which can happen even being bought brand new...) Any help from anyone who knows a thing or two about this??

Almost time to do my timing belt xintersecty's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by kholveck View Post
      I recently bought a 2004 Chevy Aveo. The people I bought from told me I needed to replace the thermostat housing-- a "friend" of ours said he knew how to do it, and it was a very easy fix....well shortly after he replaced the thermostat housing, I was driving home and my car over heated...the radiator hose is not getting hot either...I read on another forum that this can happen due to a bad thermostat (which can happen even being bought brand new...) Any help from anyone who knows a thing or two about this??
      Did you replace it with metal one? Yeap very easy fix. Also did you replace the any fluid that was loss when you open the system back up? And maybe your thermostat went bad. If that hose coming out of the housing is not getting warm then you have a valve stuck closed.
      Please do not power off, firmware update pending.....

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Yes we did, this guy was an idiot though, I don't entirely trust anything he is saying. We're going to take it to a shop tonight, but I wish I could just tell them what to fix, instead of them wasting my money checking the wrong thing.

Almost time to do my timing belt xintersecty's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by kholveck View Post
      Yes we did, this guy was an idiot though, I don't entirely trust anything he is saying. We're going to take it to a shop tonight, but I wish I could just tell them what to fix, instead of them wasting my money checking the wrong thing.
      Why don't you fix it your self and go down the dark road of DIY (do it yourself). Personally I don't trust mechanics or dealerships. It's not that hard to take it apart and replace the t-stat.

You will need a socket wrench, and channel locks. I had to do that repair on the side of the road.
      Please do not power off, firmware update pending.....

Thanks
      +1 and if you do it yourself, while you have the t-stat out it's a good time to flush out the orange 'dex-cool' coolant and replace it with a 50/50 mix of fresh water and green (glycol) coolant to avoid future problems. Make sure the new thermostat has a 190F or above temp rating so you don't get a P0128 code (low coolant temp).

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      don't trust just anyone to work on your cars... You could do this yourself easily, but since it overheated, your better to get it checked out for any other damage.