•  

Thread: P0342 Need HELP!!

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Angry P0342 Need HELP!!

Hi, im new to the aveo forum, but not new to cars.. thanks in advance for the help!

OK so.... stupid aveo drives and feels like its in limp mode... no power, running rough, etc. etc. CEL is on with code p0342 Cam position sensor.
      changed sensor, deleted codes ( i have obd reader), 3 seconds and light is back on with same code (did this over and over a handfull of times). Drove car about 20 miles, power is back, all seems well, light is still on though with 0342. Car sits over night, runs like absolute crap in AM. Read something about crankshaft sensor might be related, replaced crank sensor, still no change.
      Crank sensor is functioning properly for sure, when car is on, i remove crank sensor, car stalls out, check.
      Car is running, i disconnect cam sensor, no change, no difference... is this normal? Or is there possibility that I bought a bad/malfunctioning sensor?
      Next day, I read more, then check wiring for cam pos sensor plug, all fine, no grounding wires, no exposed wire. I have current and voltage going to plug for cam pos sensor. I also take things apart and check timing. timing IS off.. I fix timing, arrow on bottom sprocket pointing down and a tad towards firewall, cam marks facing in towards each other... Check...
      I reset light, 3 seconds pass, light is back on. I drive around car, still running crappy, turn off. turn back on reset light, light back on 3 later again. i drove it around 10 miles, deleted codes again, light still back on 3 seconds later..

THE F*CK*NG light is STILL ON!!!!!!!! SHOOT me plz!

Called a few mechanic friends.. they all said it sounds like i have done all tests and the next thing may be that the ECU/ECM is bad... seriously??

i seriously am ready to aim for a cliff, put it in drive, stand back and wave goodbye ...

someone please tell me that i missed something.

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      Year and mileage? Had this Aveo been running ok until all of this just happened recently, or did you buy it with this going on? Was the timing off by more than one notch? Any idea how the timing went off - recent timing belt change? You didn't mention the battery, so I'll ask if you did a load test on it.

Thanks
      Oh sorry... its a 2005 with roughly 145 k on it, I bought it recently and these problems just started.. of course! lol. Timing was off by very little not a whole bunch. Idk if by one notch though. no load test battery is new...

Thanks
      I would load test the battery, particularly since it's one of the easiest things to try. Wouldn't be the first time a battery was bad off the shelf. Or there may be something going south with the alternator, tricking out the battery.

Thanks
      Sorry it took a while to get back...

Load tested battery.. Max is 14.xx and low is 10.xx so it's good.. I took it to both Auto Zone and Oreillys and asked them to perform tests to make sure.. And yes, battery is good. Alternator has to be ok because battery isn't dying. We have not had any problems with power. Battery charges back fine.

Thanks
      Starter has been acting up a little lately, but it can't be starter because the starter isn't constantly running.. It's only for start.

Thanks
      10 volts is not "good". Before starting, the battery should read around 12.5, and then remain in the 13-14 range once started. During the load test it should momentarily drop down .5 volt or so but quickly go back up to the baseline voltage, as each draw is applied. A reading of 10 volts means something is wrong. When are you seeing 10 and for how long?