•  

Thread: overheating...now running colder than normal

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

overheating...now running colder than normal

Hello,

So I just got my 2010 aveo out of the dealership for an overheat. The dealership told me they replaced the head gasket, as well as a leaky radiator hose. and I also had the timing belt replaced (it's got 75,000 miles)

I've had it back two days and it overheated yesterday on the freeway. I made it home but the needle would spike to hot, then dip down to normal. In a 40 minute drive it did that about 5 times. It kept running, but I would lose power while it was too hot.

Today drove it around my house to see if I could replicate the problem and the temperature gauge only hovered around the 1/4 mark, which it's always been right below the halfway mark. So now it's running way cooler than normal.

Is this just a thermostat issue? Do thermostats "go bad" or do they just either work or don't work?

Thanks in advance for any guidance!

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by joshuatree View Post
      Hello,

So I just got my 2010 aveo out of the dealership for an overheat. The dealership told me they replaced the head gasket, as well as a leaky radiator hose. and I also had the timing belt replaced (it's got 75,000 miles)

I've had it back two days and it overheated yesterday on the freeway. I made it home but the needle would spike to hot, then dip down to normal. In a 40 minute drive it did that about 5 times. It kept running, but I would lose power while it was too hot.

Today drove it around my house to see if I could replicate the problem and the temperature gauge only hovered around the 1/4 mark, which it's always been right below the halfway mark. So now it's running way cooler than normal.

Is this just a thermostat issue? Do thermostats "go bad" or do they just either work or don't work? Thanks in advance for any guidance!
      Yes, thermostats do go bad, and they can fail in fully open mode, fully closed mode or stuck halfway - all of which will cause problems. Perhaps that was your only original problem - and replacing a thermostat is a very inexpensive repair.

They sold you a radiator hose, a head gasket and a timing belt. How many $$$ did the stealership take you for in doing that work? You brought it to them because it was overheating, and now it's still overheating.

I never cease to be amazed at how much a consumer will tolerate. Obviously they didn't diagnose the problem and remedy it, because it still persists. Apparently knowing how to complain effectively and/or stop payment has become a lost art.

Will you throw any more money at them? Or will you insist that they rectify the problem?

Thanks
      It was done as a warranty repair so I was not charged for the head gasket or hose. I was charged to do the timing belt, but because they already had the engine apart I was only charged the cost of the timing belt itself ($145). That was presented as an option to me and I gave the go-ahead.
      Yes I will be calling them tomorrow morning when they open to explain my problem.

Thanks
      I had almost the exact same issue you are having on my 2010 Aveo with 40,000 miles. The only difference was that I did not lose power when it was too hot. First the dealer replaced the thermostat and that did not fix the needle spike either hot or cold. They then replaced the head gasket and that fixed it except the first day I got it back the temp dropped down from normal to 1/4 then slowly rose back up twice. Every since then not problems with the temperature.

Thanks
      How long have you driven since that happened with no issues? Since I originally posted this I've found that if I drive with the heat cranked that keeps the car from overheating. Whatever the issue it should have been fixed the first time. Funny, when I drove it back to the dealership to get fixed i had no issues with overheating. The check engine light came on, but I didn't have to crank the heat to keep the engine cool.

What do you mean there's no turbo? Chevy Customer Svc's Avatar
      Thanks
      Hey Joshua,

I am sorry to hear you are having this overheating concern with your Aveo. I would like to look into this further for you with your Chevrolet dealership. Please private message me your name, VIN, phone number, and dealership name. Hope to hear from you soon.

Erica Tiffany
      Chevrolet Customer Care
      Don't forget to check out my.chevrolet.com link and take advantage of a wealth of vehicle information!

For information on the GM Privacy Statement, please visit http://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html

Thanks
      maybe it's just me but if I ever experience any over heating issues I don't continue to run the car. As soon as the temp starts to climb it's a safe bet to get off the road, turn the car off and call a tow truck. It's not worth driving your car hot and doing all sorts of avoidable damage. My temp gauge never really moves once it's warmed up. It hovers right below the middle half way point. Just because the needle doesn't hit the red doesn't mean you're not doing damage.

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie Mund View Post
      maybe it's just me but if I ever experience any over heating issues I don't continue to run the car. As soon as the temp starts to climb it's a safe bet to get off the road, turn the car off and call a tow truck. It's not worth driving your car hot and doing all sorts of avoidable damage. My temp gauge never really moves once it's warmed up. It hovers right below the middle half way point. Just because the needle doesn't hit the red doesn't mean you're not doing damage.
      Calling a tow truck isn't really necessary. The alternative is to wait for the engine to cool down before resuming your drive. (That's assuming you don't have a long distance trip ahead of you.)

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Thymeclock View Post
      Calling a tow truck isn't really necessary. The alternative is to wait for the engine to cool down before resuming your drive. (That's assuming you don't have a long distance trip ahead of you.)
      to each it's own. Letting the engine cool down is always a good starting point rather than continuing driving an overheating Aveo. While waiting on it to cool down you can also check to see if you have an visible coolant leaks. Always a good idea to carry a gallon of coolant and water bed repair kit or duct tape to make on the road repairs.