•  
    Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Oil/coolant mix

Thanks
      FWIW: It might be helpful to others in your area if you shared the name of the shop/mechanic, in the hopes that no one makes the same mistake of assuming this shop/person might be able to fix their car. If a person is not even aware of what tools are needed for the job at hand, is a sure sign of incompetence. At some point, willful ignorance turns into a legal liability in the trade. FYI

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      UPDATE:: HAd the head gasket changed again. Now days later I have a chocolate milk color on top of the coolant in the reservoir bottle. When I give it gas loud squiking noise to me occurs worse first think in the mourning. Belts are new so it maybe a pully I am thinking. No one has ever heard of an oil cooler located under the manifold if it is the issue they are all wanting me to by a motor. I had only one guy tell me oil cooler everyone else looking puzzled like they have no idea what I am talking about. Any clear picture on what this looks like? ANy other ideas welcome? Thanks.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by urdreamlady View Post
      UPDATE:: HAd the head gasket changed again. Now days later I have a chocolate milk color on top of the coolant in the reservoir bottle. When I give it gas loud squiking noise to me occurs worse first think in the mourning. Belts are new so it maybe a pully I am thinking. No one has ever heard of an oil cooler located under the manifold if it is the issue they are all wanting me to by a motor. I had only one guy tell me oil cooler everyone else looking puzzled like they have no idea what I am talking about. Any clear picture on what this looks like? ANy other ideas welcome? Thanks.

I know this is an old post but I see it come up time and time again. My girlfriends Aveo had oil in the coolant reservoir. Years ago when I worked at the local Porsche/Audi dealer, the Porsche 944 had problems when it first came out. The oil cooler would leak oil into the cooling system. Porsche's instructions were to replace the oil cooler and flush the cooling system by refilling the cooling system and pouring a small bottle of Shout laundry stain remover into the coolant reservoir. Then run the car until it got completely up to operating temperature, flush the cooling system and refilling the cooling system again. After thoroughly cleaning the cooling system (and replacing the hoses that had gotten soft due to the oil), the oil residue returned. A little research showed there IS an oil cooler under the exhaust manifold. It is the aluminum part that the oil filter housing is part of. The oil filter screws into the top of the oil cooler. Found one on Amazon for a very inexpensive price. The photos showed that it came with some of the rubber seals but there were a couple that weren't pictured. I found a seal kit for the oil cooler that showed ALL the rubber seals needed to replacing the cooler. Use vaseline to lubricate the seals so they slide in place properly when installing the new cooler. Problem solved! It has never returned. Since her model has variable valve timing, I was in no hurry to replace the head gasket. So, don't overlook the oil cooler that is mounted under the exhaust manifold. I know this is a common issue with the Aveos and I've seen quite a number of complaints for oil in the cooling system. Be aware the oil can eventually ruin any rubber hoses that have coolant in them.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123