•  
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Oil/coolant mix

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      I don't know the ideal compression ratios for the Aveo, but your numbers are way low. You might possibly have a warped cylinder head. You mentioned that the head was recently removed and replaced? Its quite possible that the head wasn't torqued down correctly or the gasket was installed properly. What was the reason for removing the head originally?

And your mechanic is asking you what to look for? It's time to look for a new one.

Personally, I would pull the valve cover and check the torque on each of the cylinder bolts. I would bet that the bolts wernt torqued down fully or in the correct sequence. While it is possible, I would rule out an improperly installed head gasket; most likely your car would be overheating at this point if the gasket was installed backwards.

2004 Aveo beater car
      2005 Aveo LT. 5-speed beater car (DOA)

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      oh yes I know dealers will screw you over in a minute. I know I have been battling with GM dealership here and every time I took my car in for repairs I had to go over their head to the owner or the actual GM company. All ways try to find an excuse to rip people off for extra unnecessary money. Especially if it's under warranty oh goodness they lie to the warranty company just so you come out your pocket to pay NOT. They despise my car big time. I will get it checked again. Thanks

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Originally family memeber ran it hot. Took heads to machine shop and guy at machine shop said head was warped charged $85 to supposely mill it and something else mechanic told me.

OK i have a feeling it been botherling me about the heads not being torqued down correctly cause I never seen a torque wrench the guy had. Its not over heating at all. Runs like there is nothing wrong with it at all until you raise hood and see the oil in reservoir. Have to keep checking the dip stick thou.

Anyone have the torque on each bolt handy? How many passes on each bolt? Below is the sequence order I received. 2009 chevy aveo LT 1.6 dual overhead cam.

IF that dont work the heads will go back to the machine shop that was suppose to have done whatever to it. I will keep ya posted on what I find. I should of went to college to fix and work on my own car shucks. Pay people and they half fix your vehicle and want you to pay money that you don't have to spend in the first place. SMH!! Got to find me a good honest mechanic.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

oil/coolant

UPDATE!!!

JUST FOUND OUT HE USED A EXT WITH THE SOCKET and rachet to torque the bolts. I have no idea why he did not ask me to purchase what he needed. He says he did not have the right drive so that is all he had. *really half a%^ work right got paid to do it right and took short cut instead* I knew that gut feeling been bothering me for some reason.

I will be going to search down all he needs to do it right and he will retorque the bolts and go from there.

Yes I know I NEED A NEW MECHANIC!!!

Quote Originally Posted by urdreamlady View Post
      Originally family memeber ran it hot. Took heads to machine shop and guy at machine shop said head was warped charged $85 to supposely mill it and something else mechanic told me.

OK i have a feeling it been botherling me about the heads not being torqued down correctly cause I never seen a torque wrench the guy had. Its not over heating at all. Runs like there is nothing wrong with it at all until you raise hood and see the oil in reservoir. Have to keep checking the dip stick thou.

Anyone have the torque on each bolt handy? How many passes on each bolt? Below is the sequence order I received. 2009 chevy aveo LT 1.6 dual overhead cam.

IF that dont work the heads will go back to the machine shop that was suppose to have done whatever to it. I will keep ya posted on what I find. I should of went to college to fix and work on my own car shucks. Pay people and they half fix your vehicle and want you to pay money that you don't have to spend in the first place. SMH!! Got to find me a good honest mechanic.

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Its lot of oil in the bottle within a week like 2 quarts is gone out of it after water bottle is drained once or twice before it will show back to normal on the dip stick.
      What does this mean? the dip stick goes empty on the oil pan, but the coolant overflow is filling with oil? What are you draining? Where are you draining it? Why?

If you have oil in the coolant, you should have coolant in the oil. IS the dipstick oil clean? frothy? brown?

My advice to you is try a new mechanic, if this guy put the head gasket in, and it is screwed up and he is asking you what needs done. He should not have touched it in the first place. Why did you need the head gasket replaced the first time? That is probably still the problem.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

Oil/coolant mix

Ok about a quart of oil per week is leaking into the coolant reservoir. There is no water in the oil at all. Dipstick oil comes back clear/clean. The reservoir bottle is where the lost oil is collecting up in and once its gets too full it starts to leak out from the reservoir cap so I have to take off the hoses to drain the reservoir bottle.

Needed a head gasket cause that is what the dealership service department stated. Family ran it hot.

As someone stated going to retorque the bolts flush system and go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit View Post
      What does this mean? the dip stick goes empty on the oil pan, but the coolant overflow is filling with oil? What are you draining? Where are you draining it? Why?

If you have oil in the coolant, you should have coolant in the oil. IS the dipstick oil clean? frothy? brown?

My advice to you is try a new mechanic, if this guy put the head gasket in, and it is screwed up and he is asking you what needs done. He should not have touched it in the first place. Why did you need the head gasket replaced the first time? That is probably still the problem.

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      As someone stated going to retorque the bolts flush system and go from there.
      That was me that said that. Retorquing may work, it also may not work. A gasket is a one time only part. If he torqued it down too hard in one spot, it will not work correctly when re torqued correctly; you better hope that monkey with a wrench didnt apply enough torque. I advise that you torque the bolts to the correct spec yourself. You only need to remove the valve cover which should take 5 min at most and the head bolts should be right there.

If that fails, you should also go back to that shop and demand a refund or that they fix it correctly using a different mechanic. Taking off the timing belt and removing the head is not a cheap job and you shouldn't be paying twice for it.
      2004 Aveo beater car
      2005 Aveo LT. 5-speed beater car (DOA)

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

Oil/coolant mix

Thanks so very much I have taken it back so he is now trying to find the right socket to di it with. He used and ext and another socket that was not the right socket he needed so he will be going back to do it. I will give an update soon as he finish it.

Quote Originally Posted by slayerized6 View Post
      That was me that said that. Retorquing may work, it also may not work. A gasket is a one time only part. If he torqued it down too hard in one spot, it will not work correctly when re torqued correctly; you better hope that monkey with a wrench didnt apply enough torque. I advise that you torque the bolts to the correct spec yourself. You only need to remove the valve cover which should take 5 min at most and the head bolts should be right there.

If that fails, you should also go back to that shop and demand a refund or that they fix it correctly using a different mechanic. Taking off the timing belt and removing the head is not a cheap job and you shouldn't be paying twice for it.

I'll keep it and add a turbo thankful_ragamuffin's Avatar
      Thanks
      Thanks so very much I have taken it back so he is now trying to find the right socket to di it with. He used and ext and another socket that was not the right socket he needed so he will be going back to do it. I will give an update soon as he finish it.
      A technician that doesn't have the right socket? What kind of shop did you take your car to? In the trade we refer to shops like that as "Bubba's".

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

Oil/coolant

Well I thought the shop had the right tools. It gets lots of business maybe Bubba left tools in cars he was working on. Got get a new shop mechanic.

Quote Originally Posted by thankful_ragamuffin View Post
      A technician that doesn't have the right socket? What kind of shop did you take your car to? In the trade we refer to shops like that as "Bubba's".

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast