•  

Thread: Minor Issues Add To One Main Issue.

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Minor Issues Add To One Main Issue.

ok... so, i have an 09 Aveo and every now and then the check engine light comes on, i would take the car to my mechanic. first time it came on, i had the MAP sensor changed. no problems for a few months, light came on, bad ignition coil, whole pack replaced. no problems for many more months. light came on again, mechanic says misfire. car runs strong still, though it has an erratic idle. like when i get to my destination and park, when i put it into park, the engine will rev on its own up to about 2000-2300 rpm and come back down to just below normal and stay there. and when im in traffic, it seems to have delayed upshifts. but all this has resulted in my AC not working. i cant even feel the compressor kick on or the engine note change. this is a problem as i live in Texas and the summer heat is fast approaching. also, there is a small opening on the valve cover, just under the plastic lid that covers the ignition coil pack. i can hear and feel air rushing in. i dont remember seeing/hearing this before, but my mechanic put a small piece of plastic wrap on the hole to keep air from being sucked in. i dont notice any change with or without the plastic over the little hole. i cant find anything on these things on the internet yet. HELP!!!

What's wrong with my car? ApexButcher's Avatar
      Thanks
      Chevy didn't put a hole in the valve cover for no reason. PCV hose missing? Vacuum leak would explain lumpy idle. Any pics?

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by ApexButcher View Post
      Chevy didn't put a hole in the valve cover for no reason. PCV hose missing? Vacuum leak would explain lumpy idle. Any pics?
      thats what i was thinking. because i can tell its a factory cut hole, like a tiny rectangle shape. its right on the ridge that the coil pack lid snaps into and sits... im gonna try to get a picture. there never was any hose. but i cant imagine why the AC would not work. maybe as a fail safe?...

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      On the misfire, did you get a recall notice for plugs and wires? If it should have been done but wasn't, that might explain the misfire.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      oem style plugs need replaced every 25k. IF you got the recall i believe that has changed.

the actual valve cover should be sealed, lets see a picture.

Thanks
      ok fellas. i finally got this issue taken care of. as for the tiny hole in the valve cover that was just under the coil pack lid, that snaps in, it kinda looks like a narrow rectangle hole with a plastic bar separating it making 2 holes(think septum foot your nose). anyway, its part of the vacuum system and it had a seal or valve that can go bad or wear out, my aveo has 97000 miles so check yo self before you wreck yo self. it was a rather expensive job as the valve cover had to be removed to make the repair. this fixed all issues with the funny idle and the check engine light. as for the AC, a while ago i installed a short ram intake and my brace for the filter broke loose and the filters metal frame(its a cone shape filter) rubbed on an AC line long enough to wear a hole through the line and release the freeon(sp?) so odds are my car probably burned some freon at one point. LOL! the Aveo runs great although quieter as i put the factory air box back in to prevent future friction issues. i already miss the growl of the intake. i wont miss it too much though as i recently aquired a 97 Old EightyEight and it feels far superior to the Aveo, not just in build quality but comfort. i had been driving the Aveo for a year and a half and i got used to its loud ways. its buzzy nature, the mirrors howling at me, letting me know ive just exceeded 70 mph... and 2 nights ago my area got some really bad hail for about 30 minutes. and it left the Aveo looking like a giant golf ball. the Olds? not a ding. awesome. i havent driven a car with propper passing power for quite some time. and not having to flog an engine to merge onto the freeway or pass is pretty nice, this Olds has lazy power. 70mph=2000rpm. and i got power windows my own power seat, and cruise control! and they al work!!! my wife now drives the Aveo so its for the better, she gets the now more reliable car and i have to save up to have the Olds' AC system repaired before the summer comes full swing here in Houston. now its time to watch youtube street racing videos and burn.

Thanks
      ok fellas. i finally got this issue taken care of. as for the tiny hole in the valve cover that was just under the coil pack lid, that snaps in, it kinda looks like a narrow rectangle hole with a plastic bar separating it making 2 holes(think septum for your nose). anyway, its part of the vacuum system and it had a seal or valve that can go bad or wear out, my aveo has 97000 miles so check yo self before you wreck yo self. it was a rather expensive job as the valve cover had to be removed to make the repair. this fixed all issues with the funny idle and the check engine light. as for the AC, a while ago i installed a short ram intake and my brace for the filter broke loose and the filters metal frame(its a cone shape filter) rubbed on an AC line long enough to wear a hole through the line and release the freeon(sp?) so odds are my car probably burned some freon at one point. LOL! the Aveo runs great although quieter as i put the factory air box back in to prevent future friction issues. i already miss the growl of the intake. i wont miss it too much though as i recently aquired a 97 Old EightyEight and it feels far superior to the Aveo, not just in build quality but comfort. i had been driving the Aveo for a year and a half and i got used to its loud ways. its buzzy nature, the mirrors howling at me, letting me know ive just exceeded 70 mph... and 2 nights ago my area got some really bad hail for about 30 minutes. and it left the Aveo looking like a giant golf ball. the Olds? not a ding. awesome. i havent driven a car with propper passing power for quite some time. and not having to flog an engine to merge onto the freeway or pass is pretty nice, this Olds has lazy power. 70mph=2000rpm. and i got power windows, my own power seat, and cruise control! and they all work!!! my wife now drives the Aveo so its for the better, she gets the now more reliable car and i have to save up to have the Olds' AC system repaired before the summer comes full swing here in Houston. And that's that. now its time to watch youtube street racing videos and burn.

Thanks
      sorry for double posting. there seems to be a problem with the edit post button. it will let me edit the post but i cant save afterward.