•  

Thread: Loud ticking... but it still runs (albeit with little power)

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Loud ticking... but it still runs (albeit with little power)

Pulled out of the garage last night and got about 50 feet when all of a sudden a loud ticking sound began. Pulled over and raised the hood, nothing obvious. Put it in reverse and she limped home. Very little power but she still moves. Any ideas? I've been reading a lot here looking for ideas but thought I'd go ahead and post this while I continue to research.
      Thanks

Last edited by randyw; 08-13-2012 at 02:17 PM.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      my first thought was simply turn up the radio that usually fixs most loud noises...my second thought was remove the coil pack and reinstall it see if that makes any diff, mine use to do this...what year is it ? And def don't drive it until you figured it out...if it jumped time your repair bill is just going to get bigger...
      Last edited by HeavyDuty; 08-12-2012 at 08:52 PM.

Thanks
      It's a 2004 and it's definitely coming from under the valve cover. It's a hard knock like an old diesel engine. This is my wife's car and she's away for the week visiting family in another state so I've been driving it while she's gone. I travel a lot for work so I leave it up to her to stop and get the oil changed as needed and she's usually good about it. I talked to her today and she said it hasn't been changed since I did the valve cover gasket replacement this time last year. :facepalm:
      Last edited by randyw; 08-13-2012 at 02:18 PM.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by randyw View Post
      It's a 2004 and it's definitely coming from under the valve cover. It's a hard knock like an old diesel engine. This is my wifes car and she away for the week visiting family in another state so I've been driving it while she's gone. I travel a lot for work so I leave it up to her to stop and get the oil checked as needed and she's usually good about it. I talked to her today and she said it hasn't been changed since I did the valve cover gasket replacement this time last year. :facepalm:

Well your going to need a 2004 model year expert to take over this one...many diff between the 04 and 09. Hard knocks usually always turn out bad, can be a flooding injector, intake/exhaust valve or valves not opening, mine knocked when the coil was shorting out I thought it was a rod at first..

Thanks
      not having the oil changed for a year is never good.....

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      timing pulley?

LXV-SCOOTADRIVE, ON! 2010AveoLT's Avatar
      Thanks
      how many miles? but here's my $0.02: check the Oil Pressure, if its low, that may be the source of the Ticking.

Thanks
      165k miles. I tore into it a little over the weekend. Took the valve cover off to inspect the cams, valves etc. Also took the timing belt cover off to inspect all of that. Everything looked ok and the timing belt components looked rather new and were not damaged. At this point I'm thinking it may be a rod bearing. Time to take her to a real shop.

Thanks
      im in the same boat and im going to be doing everything myself but when you checked your timing belt did you line up the two notches on the cams to eachother side by side and take the bottem cover off from under the right side wheel well and check the pully. may need to remove pully nut with an impact gun and remove the pully then the belt cover. i did this and found that my cams were still in time with eachother but my crank jumped three teeth. ill take pics and show you if you want or are going to do it yourself. and whever else is reading this will jumping timing belt teeth cause the valves to hit and damge the head or pistons and will it requier to remove the head?

Thanks
      yes if it jumps time pistons and valves may contact...zero interference engine I am afraid. Doesn't mean it did but 3 teeth is a lot. Re time it and check compression, turn by hand first, you will know pretty quick...will not sound right turning over....I wouldn't let it fire (remove something to prevent it from creating spark), if they are not bent yet you don't want to have an "incident" while checking to see if they are bent.