•  
    Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Loud noise problem in Chevy Aveo

Should I keep it?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Another vote that it's probably tires.

I went through the same scenario last year-- loud noise, increasing at speed -- replaced both front bearings with no improvement. Garage finally put it on rollers and got no noise at speed. Deduced it was tires, replaced them and all was quiet. I never knew tires could make that much noise!

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      We have this same noise on a 2004, (78K miles) seemed to get worse sometime after hitting a significant pothole but not immediately. Anything actually fixed it or are we still guessing? I suppose replacing the tires and then looking at rear wheel bearings. Any shops in the Albany NY area that know Aveos and that I can trust?
      Last edited by ColdCase; 03-23-2015 at 01:05 AM.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      It could be vibration specific to that RPM - some cars (Volkswagens) have this problem a lot and it could be something similar in your G. Check the bolts on your exhaust manifold heat shield are tightened

Also check and see what RPMs you're running at at 45-50 mph. Try to hold those RPMs in a different gear (or while sitting in neutral) to see if the noise occurs then as well

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Its not related to engine RPM, just road speed. Now that we replaced the tires with quieter ones, we can tell its a little noisier when turning right. I'm going to start replacing wheel bearings, we'll see how it goes. I checked them by simply jacking up the car, spinning wheels, checking for play but there was nothing obvious, no play or nothing lose anyway.

Chevrolet Aveo 09 LS (KR) ChevyCC's Avatar
      Thanks
      Was video taken while having a window open? If open: sound could be from a poorly finished or old highway (concrete), which makes noisier wheels. If done with a closed window it could be one of these:

Rear bearings: a simple spin while jacked up, even with no play, if it sounds like grinding sugar.. you´ve got a dry bearing, when speed increases noise will increase.

Are you using same size (#) of tires on all 4? & wheel size?

Well inflated tires?

Maybe got a screw, nail or other lodged in a tire, jack up & spin em one by one looking carefully. If you find one don´t pry out by yourself tire will deflate (radial tire only- cause if you are using tire with tube it would have gone flat by now).

Maybe a loose splash guard, bumper or other ... which vibrates with the wind & produces are noise?

RPM meter: well thats a tough one, I sometimes get the unsmooth movement in the hand when shifting down (quick speed decrease) to go over speed bumps, AIC valve is regulating to compensate gas/air flow, although Ive never seen it do it when going at a steady speed (like in video)

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      On mine there is no noise when spinning any jacked up wheel, there is no grinding or roughness. There is a YouTube video of a tech spinning a wheel while touching the spring to feel for roughness that I'll have to try.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Just to update, my issue turned out to be a bad rear wheel bearing. This being a one piece hub drum type, it was an hour fix, both sides. Most of that time was scrounging around for the right size wrench and replacing the ABS sensors.

Chevrolet Aveo 09 LS (KR) ChevyCC's Avatar
      Thanks
      great! & thanks for the update.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      This thread has been quiet for awhile, but I think I have something to add. My '09 has been making the exact same noise (as far as I can tell from the description and videos). It started last year or so and has been getting progressively worse. Speed-related vibrations are driving a resonance, and the roof is acting like a soundboard that fills the cabin with a deafeningly loud, low-frequency hum. It's almost subsonic. You don't notice it too badly (but you do notice it) until you try to talk or listen to the radio and have a hard time deciphering the voices. The noise comes on around 50 kph and gets louder (with a little bit of variation) as the car speeds up. It's intolerable above 110 kph. As far as I can tell, speed is the only factor, with steering, the wind, bumps, etc having no effect.

The car has ~150k kms and is still using all four original shocks/struts. They've been slowly giving out for years and I need to replace them asap (just inherited the car from a friend). After reading this thread, I guess I should also check the bearings, tires (which are new), and the alignment, but regardless, I definitely think my problem and that of the OP is road noise transmitting up through the suspension and resonating out through the roof. The shocks/struts should be a major player in this. So for those who found changing other components mysteriously didn't help, or only provided temporary relief, I'd say check this next (or first).

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      any news? have same issue "Car starts fine and no noises.but as you accelerate over 30mph the car gets louder and louder. When driving on a highway at 60-65 you can barely hear another person in the car talking." It sounds like a broken muffler and it gets louder with speed. Flex pipe replaced - same issue. checked all 4 bearings - no play.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast