•  

Thread: Ideas removing coil without KM-6009? 2010 1.4L

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Ideas removing coil without KM-6009? 2010 1.4L

Hi Everybody. 2010 LS 1.4L Eco 5 Speed. Standard 4 door sedan, no A/C. I need advice on removing the coil rail across the four plugs without the part KM-6009. I have the black outer cover off and I am looking at the two bolts holding the coil in place across the engine left to right. Two bolts. If this has been covered before, please hold off with the shouts of Rabble! Rabble! Rabble! I DID give it a valiant effort in searching for the answer before starting a new post. Page after page and still nothing. Yes, its been tip toed around and I found the diagrams on how it comes apart for the spark plug change but I don't have access to the KM-6009 and I figure surely there is another option that is still a safe way to get that coil rail off without any damage. I was thinking thread in two bolts that have some length and a nice sized head on them and use that for removal or even add a cross member with holes to screw to each side if you can picture what I mean. Would require a piece of thin flat stock or even sturdy wood. Drill a hole in each side, insert bolts or all thread piece into each side of coil and screw on a nut per side, add crossmember, add second nut per side and tighten up both sides to use the cross member as a handle of sorts to lift straight up on. Mayne I am going way overboard but I just want an idea before I take it apart so I don't break anything. Maybe it comes off real easy and all this is for nothing. Any advice would be great. Thanks and pardon the wordy post. I am good with my tools but this is the first change and I am sure there are a bunch of you that have been in my shoes already. If your reply was to figure it out yourself then I will do that then but I don't want to have the car down for a few days waiting on parts. I need it back up today if possible and figure it to be an hour job at most for the first time. Twenty or so every time after. Thanks again.

Blue Torpedo

LXV-SCOOTADRIVE, ON! 2010AveoLT's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Blue Torpedo View Post
      Hi Everybody. 2010 LS 1.4L Eco 5 Speed. Standard 4 door sedan, no A/C. I need advice on removing the coil rail across the four plugs without the part KM-6009. I have the black outer cover off and I am looking at the two bolts holding the coil in place across the engine left to right. Two bolts. If this has been covered before, please hold off with the shouts of Rabble! Rabble! Rabble! I DID give it a valiant effort in searching for the answer before starting a new post. Page after page and still nothing. Yes, its been tip toed around and I found the diagrams on how it comes apart for the spark plug change but I don't have access to the KM-6009 and I figure surely there is another option that is still a safe way to get that coil rail off without any damage. I was thinking thread in two bolts that have some length and a nice sized head on them and use that for removal or even add a cross member with holes to screw to each side if you can picture what I mean. Would require a piece of thin flat stock or even sturdy wood. Drill a hole in each side, insert bolts or all thread piece into each side of coil and screw on a nut per side, add crossmember, add second nut per side and tighten up both sides to use the cross member as a handle of sorts to lift straight up on. Mayne I am going way overboard but I just want an idea before I take it apart so I don't break anything. Maybe it comes off real easy and all this is for nothing. Any advice would be great. Thanks and pardon the wordy post. I am good with my tools but this is the first change and I am sure there are a bunch of you that have been in my shoes already. If your reply was to figure it out yourself then I will do that then but I don't want to have the car down for a few days waiting on parts. I need it back up today if possible and figure it to be an hour job at most for the first time. Twenty or so every time after. Thanks again.

Blue Torpedo
      you don't really need the Special tool that GM calls for; all you really have to do is loosen the two T30 Torx Bolts, unplug the Electrical connector, grip it between Cylinders 3 and 4 and directly over Cylinder 2, and Pull Straight up. all the KM-6009 does is give you two handles above the coil for grip.