•  
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Good shop to get timing belt changed in Dallas, TX + Questions

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Ive seen those chain wrenches. Just have been apprehensive about using a metal chain against a metal pulley. I'm suprised the metal-on-metal doesnt slip. Assume you never have damaged pulleys or pulley grooves using that tool?

What's wrong with my car? Ralphward's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      What is the cost of the timing belt..? what is the procedure of using the metal chain...?
      ---------------------------------------------------------------
      Different varieties of one piece jumpsuit are available for the kids as well as for the adults.
      Last edited by Ralphward; 12-17-2012 at 12:18 PM.

Thanks
      Just wanted to add an update:

Got time to do the job over the holiday break and it went flawless, special thanks to 2006Aveo!

Also, while under the hood (changing the oil) I noticed that the valve cover gasket had a wicked leak over cylinder 4. I am talking the spark plug boot was full on immersed in oil. Went ahead and changed out that gasket!

Interesting to note how the coolant system "burbs" itself, as I did not see any of the old valves they used to put on the top radiator hose to let out air/bleed the system. As a matter of fact I did not even notice a radiator cap, other than the one on the fill reservoir.

Thanks again! Now I am on to getting the inner door inserts (carbon fiber looking bits) to stop their rattle

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      Great that it went so well for you echostrike, and that the forum helped you avoid the big $$ by doing it yourself. Did you use the chain wrench to pin the pulley? I used 5th gear and the break when I did mine, but since have read that it's not a good thing to lean hard on the break like that (don't know if that's true or not). I have my daughter's Aveo to do this Summer (her's is an automatic), and am considering possibly using the chain wrench. Wonder if anyone has tried using a piece of leather, placed between the pulley and wrench, in order to protect the pulley from getting dinged-up?

Thanks
      I, like you used the brake and 5th, however, 2006Aveo showed that you can wrap the old serpentine belt around the pulley and get some traction....honestly with it in 5th and a little brake pressure the bolt came right out with no fuss (used an 18 inch breaker bar). I hope by the next time I do this job I will have air tools (not that you need them I just keep wanting a set).

I don't see a problem with the chain wrench as long as, like you say you use some pad (leather, old belt, etc). Do you remember where you saw that the brake + 5th is bad? I'm interested to see what they say.

Thanks!

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by echostrike View Post
      ... Do you remember where you saw that the brake + 5th is bad? I'm interested to see what they say. Thanks!
      Unfortunately I didn't save that link, and don't remember what I was looking at (definitely not this forum though). I believe that person was talking about possible damage to the brake piston. I did my TB job 30K ago, and haven't had any brake problems, so I have no idea how valid that information is. Maybe PR or one of the other pros can offer their opinion on this. It would be nice thought to take that possibility out of the mix by pinning the pulley via the wrench method. When I did the TB on my other daughters Civic, there was a hex sleeve built into the pulley, which allowed a matching tool to be attached to a second breaker bar (which gets pinned to the floor). Very nice design, which eliminates anything except the pulley itself being involved in removal/installation.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12