•  

Thread: G3 wont start, please help!

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Question G3 wont start, please help!

Hi,
      last Saturday my wife's G3 started hesitating, CEL started flashing as well as HOLD lamp. I took it to a near autozone to get scan and it showed just 1 code P0304 (misfire on cil 4) so I bought new spark plugs thinking that was it. I replaced the old NGK BKR6E with BOSCH Iridium 9604, when i removed the spark plugs I found oil on top of spark plug on cylinder 2 so I decided to change also the cover gasket since was leaking. I did the gasket with no problem (installed a Felpro brand that looked like silicon) after that put everything together and now the car does not start. So I decided to go ahead and replace the ignition coil pack (4 coils in one piece) and got it from autozone (duralast C1646) but did not start.
      I know that the injectors are working since I checked every one resistance and function with a noid light.
      So know I'm lost, I don't know what else to do. I don't have a code reader so it is hard to determine.

thanks in advance.

PS does anyone here has electric diagrams for this G3 2009?

Thanks
      I just read this post:
      http://www.aveoforum.com/forum/f76/2...agnosis-20953/

Is there a possibility that the autozone coil pack that I bought was bad? it is different from outside but since there is no way to test it. The first pic is what I got from autozone the second is the old one.

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      The only thing I can tell you is any time I uses something other the the NGK copper plugs that came OEM, I had issues with misfires.

I cannot say that is your issue here, did you do anything during your repair that would cause issue to keep it from starting?

Does it crank over?

I would say start working backward. You had a running car with a misfire. Put the old parts back on until you have a running car again? Make sure you hooked everything up.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit View Post
      The only thing I can tell you is any time I uses something other the the NGK copper plugs that came OEM, I had issues with misfires.

I cannot say that is your issue here, did you do anything during your repair that would cause issue to keep it from starting?

Does it crank over?

I would say start working backward. You had a running car with a misfire. Put the old parts back on until you have a running car again? Make sure you hooked everything up.
      Rabbit thanks for your response.
      I took out the intake tube to clean the throttle opening, when did that I disconnected the MAF sensor but is connected back on. I also disconnected the injectors to check resistance and those were connected back. Other than that as I said I replaced the cover gasket and put new iridium spark plugs. So tomorrow i will put the old NGK plugs and old coil and see what it does. The engine cranks and seems like is going to start but it does not.
      One more question, what is the actual spark plugs gap? since the manual states (0.039-0.043 inch) or the new gap after the recall posted on http://www.aveoforum.com/forum/f76/2...agnosis-20953/ (0.031-0.035 inch)

Thanks

Thanks
      Update:
      Today I checked the fuel pressure and got 55 PSI (so I think it is ok), after that I removed the injectors and the resistance was 12.1 ~ 12.2 ohms (don't have the spec but I think is ok) only thing is that there is some carbon buildup in the tip of injectors, tomorrow will do a functional test and see how they spray the fuel.
      I also did a kind of functional test to the coil and the spark in coil 4 (cylinder 4) is kind of weak so i'm still think that the coil pack is not good but does not explain why the coil from autozone didn't work.Name:  IMG_20171115_130354841.jpg
Views: 570
Size:  265.2 KBName:  IMG_20171115_132227406.jpg
Views: 625
Size:  320.3 KB

Thanks
      Update.
      After all testing done (fuel pressure, injectors, compression etc) and not find anything wrong I went and got a new coil pack this time from O'Reilly and just connected everything back and on the first attempt it started like a champ, no more misfire or hesitation.
      Thanks for all your suggestions.

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      So it was a bad replacement coil pack?

Thanks
      Yes petrified.rabbit, it was a bad replacement coil pack from Autozone.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Negro06 For This Useful Post:

petrified.rabbit (11-24-2017)