•  

Thread: First the water pump now the power steering, at a loss...

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

First the water pump now the power steering, at a loss...

Hi everyone, I'm in desperate need for advise. A few weeks ago, I tried to start my car (weather was pretty cold), and it started and went out. It was pulled to the shop, and they, over two weeks, replaced the engine (!) and I assume the water pump too since they said that's where the issue began.

Now here comes the big problem: a day after I got it back it was dripping oil like mad, and my power steering was screwing up. I sent it back in, they said they'd rush on it, and the guy in charge of our car at the dealership even wrote no cost on the take in form. He called me later to say that there is a leak with the part that holds the steering fluid and looked like it was collecting gunk for sometime. He also said it isn't covered in my warranty.

I'm livid because I never had a drip of oil or an issue with my steering until they "repaired" my car, but apparently, it's my fault.

I'd just like to know if anyone has an opinion on this or suggestions for me. Oh, and it's a 2007 Chevy Aveo.

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Being they would have disconnected the system in order to remove and replace your engine, i would have to say it is their fault. Well, maybe not directly their fault, but they stirred up the system. Heck, even if they topped it off with the wrong fluid after doing everything else properly, it would destroy your power steering system.

I would suggest trying to figure out how they replaced the engine without touching the power steering pump, and tell them since they touched it it is now leaking. IIRC the reservoir is on top of the pump? so if the pulled the pump off and let it drain and dry out, they should have cleaned it before putting it back on, or else the "gunk" would result from that.