•  
    Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Electrical issue - Battery drain

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Hi Guys, I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem and I hope by posting that we can get this conversation moving again. I understand the frustration and here's what I found out. My alternator is good. Car has eaten 3 batteries. The complaint was that the dome light wasn't working and the battery drain. I put another bulb in the dome light and wouldn't you know it it blew out. I took out the dome light assembly. Nope we still have a big drain on the battery. No Recalls on this car. Dealership states the ignition switch was replaced and the computer was flashed due to programming issues that these cars are known for. Pull out the SJB BATT Fuse The Draw Test Light will go out and will start to come right back on. SO any suggestions?

Thanks
      Hi Guys, I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem and I hope by posting that we can get this conversation moving again. I understand the frustration and here's what I found out. My alternator is good. Car has eaten 3 batteries. The complaint was that the dome light wasn't working and the battery drain. I put another bulb in the dome light and wouldn't you know it it blew out. I took out the dome light assembly. Nope we still have a big drain on the battery. No Recalls on this car. Dealership states the ignition switch was replaced and the computer was flashed due to programming issues that these cars are known for. Pull out the SJB BATT Fuse The Draw Test Light will go out and will start to come right back on. SO any suggestions?

Thanks
      I take it you read GTOKID's posts earlier in this thread. He isolated the worst of the draw in his car to the OBD 10A fuse by systematically pulling fuses and watching an ammeter (post #6). Unfortunately, he didn't come back to let us know how he ultimately resolved this.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      eliminating a battery draw is just that, a series of trial and errors to find what is drawing power. It could be a many number of things, so you have to find the circuit first. Then we could go from there.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit View Post
      eliminating a battery draw is just that, a series of trial and errors to find what is drawing power. It could be a many number of things, so you have to find the circuit first. Then we could go from there.
      We thought the dome light was one of the culprits due to the fact that the bulb kept blowing out the moment you put the bulb in and upon pulling out the dome light assembly the test light was still as bright as before. I pulled the main SJB BATT fuse light went out then came back on gradually within 10 seconds and even with that fuse out or in it is still bright. I pulled the OBD fuse as the other guy suggested never even phased the light. Lucky me to get the odd ball car.

What do you mean there's no turbo? PoisonIvy's Avatar
      Thanks
      Well, somehing is definitely up with your dome light. Will the bulb blow if you put a new one in, while it's only running off the battery? (not running). Maybe your alternator isn't good?

Thanks
      Door shut, key in my lap.

What do you mean there's no turbo? PoisonIvy's Avatar
      Thanks
      Any aftermarket electronics like a stereo or remote start?

What year is your car? A 2009?

Just looking at the fuses, your dome light probably isn't on the SJB Batt fuse inside the engine bay, it's probably what they call the "room lamp" (CLUSTER/ROOM LAMP) on the fuse block on the side of your dash.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      the dome light blowing sounds like a larger circuit is shorting to ground through that circuit. I would start checking for burned power distribution. Pull apart the main fuse box under the hood and see if it is melted, or chard. Also the interior fuse box.

If you isolated The SJB fuse, it powers the fuse box in the dash. So you need to start checking those fuse areas.

I'll keep it and add a turbo thankful_ragamuffin's Avatar
      Thanks
      To physically blow a bulb the voltage or amperage must be well in excess of Spec. Put a meter on the circuit and see what the nominal values are. Could the three eaten batteries be due to overcharging, not drain?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast