•  

Thread: Coolant pipe replacement on '06 Aveo?

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Coolant pipe replacement on '06 Aveo?

I was disconnecting a heater hose (firewall to block), and the plastic connector at the coolant pipe snapped on me. It looks like I'll need to replace the coolant pipe which sits behind the engine. Does anyone have instructions? I can't find it in my service manual.

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks

Thanks
      I saw this post, but it's for the heater hose itself. I think you can get to the hose from the top with long needle-nose pliers. But damage on my car is the coolant pipe that's bolted to the block, so that whole pipe needs to be replaced.

There's NOTHING in the service manual on how it comes out. I found one Youtube video where the guy removes the starter (similar to BlueBird94 comment in thread above), and comes in from below. I think I'm going to try that instead of removing the intake manifold.

I'll get underneath the car with an inspection camera today. If I figure it out, you guys will be the first to know!

What's wrong with my car? andyfisk's Avatar
      Thanks

you can always cheat

Quote Originally Posted by zchandran View Post
      I was disconnecting a heater hose (firewall to block), and the plastic connector at the coolant pipe snapped on me. It looks like I'll need to replace the coolant pipe which sits behind the engine. Does anyone have instructions? I can't find it in my service manual.

I had the same problem, finished up epoxying a piece of brass tube into the stub of the pipe on the block. I also went cheap and tried to use a piece of generic heater hose. After a rather chilly Pittsburgh winter, I broke down and bought one that actually fit and didn't kink in the bends. It's been 4 years since I "fixed" the pipe and 3 since I replaced the hose, no leaks and working heat in the winter!

Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      I have replaced it. Had to remove the starter and the bracket for the intake manifold. Mostly worked from below. After both of these are out of the way it's pretty easy. I think it's two bolts and a spring clamp. Prepare to get soaked with antifreeze!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jeffmer For This Useful Post:

zchandran (10-28-2020)

Thanks
      I considered a quick-fix epoxy job, but that hose that connects the coolant pipe to the engine is original, so that's a ticking time bomb as well. I got sidetracked fixing the brakes on my other car so that I would have something to drive, but I'm getting the Aveo up on jackstands this weekend, and checking it out from the bottom. Removing the starter and bracket is the current plan.

Thanks

Got it done

Finally ended my procrastination and got the coolant pipe replaced. Here are my notes for anyone who needs to do the same:

1 - disconnected battery
      2 - removed the heater hose and reservoir hose from coolant pipe from top
      3 - removed the radiator hose from front of coolant pipe
      4 - jacked the car REALLY high and put on jackstands, this made made it easy to reach all the parts easily
      5 - unplugged all the connectors in front of the bracket, and removed the two 12mm bolts at top of bracket and two 14mm bolts at bottom, and set bracket aside
      6 - removed starter. Top bolt is a bit hard to get to, so I used an inspection camera to position a deepwell socket and extension on it
      7 - removed two bolts holding coolant pipe to block. Very easy to reach those.
      8 - used spring clamp tool to remove clamp holding S-shaped rubber hose at end of coolant pipe, from engine
      9 - pulled coolant pipe out
      10 -put new S-shaped rubber hose on new coolant pipe with Indian Head gasket sealant, and put it back onto the engine
      11 - put back bolts holding coolant pipe to engine (easier to do this after connecting S-shaped hose)
      12 - replaced starter. Top bolt a lot easier to line up than I thought, did it entirely by feel
      13 - put bracket back in and reconnected all the unplugged stuff
      14 - cut the new heater hose to put in a backflush T, then connected it to heater core and to coolant pipe
      15 - connected reservoir hose to coolant pipe
      16 - reconnected battery, filled up with flush compound and water, and cranked up

I would recommend taking tons of pictures of everything before getting started, mostly for peace of mind. I bought all the parts from GM Parts Direct except for the coolant pipe which they wanted $60 for, so I paid $20 for that on Amazon. You can do all this without an inspection camera, but you definitely want to have a spring clamp removal tool on hand.

That S-shaped short hose connecting the coolant pipe to the engine was in remarkably good shape after 14 years of driving. But I think it's a good idea to replace it at some point, since it's rubber.

Happy to answer any questions!