•  

Thread: Clunking Noise in Reverse

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

Clunking Noise in Reverse

I've been hearing a noise randomly when I am slowly reversing out of a parking spot with the wheel turned.

It sounds like a clunking like noise somewhere in the front, possibly drivers side. Happens multiple times in a row when it does happen.

It doesn't happen every time, just occasionally. Haven't been able to pinpoint it.

Any ideas?

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Have the motor mounts and Control arm bushing checked. My engine/trans lurches right now from the control arms.

The stock lower front rearward bushing goes bad on that control arm fairly quickly.

Moog makes a good long term replacement complete control arm best all around replacement ready to go. There are cheaper ones though as well if you don't need to use the car much longer.

Motor mounts are pretty cheap but you can add one to the front of the engine so that there's mounts on every side from the Aveo Modifications section, I'm thinking of doing it, it seems like to me it'd make all the mounts last longer and add stability.

Clunking noise could also be Clutch or power steering as well especially if the wheel is turned hard and that's only time there's ever any noise could be power steering. Changing the fluid could help if its dark.

Is it a manual transmission?
      Last edited by Nickelbawker; 04-20-2019 at 09:44 PM.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      I ended up figuring it out. It was a sway bar end link. Which is annoying because I replaced them just over a year and a half ago. That's what I get for getting cheap internet parts!! Strange that such a little part could resonate so loudly. I did the ball joints and afterwards the noise was constant, so I was able to track it down. Something I did while beating those ball joints apart must have made the issue bad enough to find.

I haven't replaced the motor mounts. The top ones seem to be in decent shape. Granted I haven't really inspected the bottom one closely. If it starts to make noise I will swap it out.

That bushing on the control arms is definitely showing its age. It has some small cracks in it. I sprayed some rubber rejuvenation spray on them that I have that works pretty well. I plan to drive until those are completely shot because I see how much of a pain it is to replace those control arms. I don't have the tools to cut the old ones out, nor do I know how to weld if I have to do significant cutting. Once the bushing is totally shot I might replace, but the car is starting to show it's age. The body has some significant rust spots, plastic inside is starting to break everywhere, etc. Might just replace the car within a year or two. I've done significant work to keep it on the road though. I'm one to repair the cars until they get really sad looking, so if it's to that point with me it's probably time.

It's an automatic. I replaced all fluids in the car back at the end of 2016. PS fluid that came out was fine. The trans fluid that came out was a different story. It was dark. But it's held up fine since the new fluid swap, so I guess I was lucky there.

Rack has some minor play, but no leaks or noises. It seems to be fine for it's age.

Thanks!!

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Interesting. Maybe my clunk noise is that as well. I bought a set of those links because it looks like the right side was in a wreck. I picked out a good looking mid cost range set from rock auto that isn't grease-able. Eventually I'll go all out moog or better once I'm storing my vehicles in a garage. Haven't installed mine yet though thinking about getting moogs already assembled control arms for the increased bushing life.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      So I swapped mine out finally tonight after work. I got Quick Steer K80502. Pretty impressed didn't realize it would add weight and reduce bump steer would have been a no brainier. Also my clunking sound on hitting bumps stopped.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      I would also check the CV joints / half shafts .

Wyr
      God bless