•  

Thread: Chevy Aveo 2005 Leak at engine to heater hose (needs replacing) Cant reach backside

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Chevy Aveo 2005 Leak at engine to heater hose (needs replacing) Cant reach backside

Name:  heater hose leak.jpg
Views: 22468
Size:  197.5 KBI need to replace the engine to heater hose, my (tear/rip in hose) leaks exist just behind the clamp.
      I'm having difficulty replacing this because access to the engine backside of the hose is difficult.
      I drained some of the radiator coolant so the the leak does not happen currently but cannot drive it.
      My Question:
      Do I have to remove the airbox, throttle body and intake manifold to get access to this hose anyone? Is it possible to get access from the top or underneath of the engine with removing all of this? I have never removed the intake manifold so does anyone know if its complicated or not i.e. gaskets replacing, fluids leaking.
      I was going to remove the fuel pump fuse, run the car till it stalls to rid the fuel rail of gas. I also cannot find a repair manual hardcopy so any suggestions welcomed.

Much appreciated.

Paul
      Calgary

2005 Chevy Aveo 1.6L Manual.

Attached Images Attached Images  
      Last edited by Aveo-Man4; 09-15-2014 at 03:57 PM. Reason: upload photo

Thanks
      post1 (need to post 5 to thread in order to post a photo)

Thanks
      post2 (need to post 5 to thread in order to post a photo)

Thanks
      post3 (need to post 5 to thread in order to post a photo)

Thanks
      post4 (need to post 5 to thread in order to post a photo)

Thanks
      post5 (need to post 5 to thread in order to post a photo)

Why is my car so slow?
      Thanks
      I just ran into this same problem today. I came to the forum for answers but I couldn't find a great one. Nobody really had any "tips." I figured I'd share how I removed and replaced this hose.

My 2004 five speed started leaking from a pinhole in the heater hose (the one stemming from the center of the block). I pressure tested the system to locate the leak, and then began biting my nails, worrying that I'd have to remove the intake manifold and a whole bunch of other things just to replace a stinking hose. But with a little redneck ingenuity I was able to pull it off with only removing one part. Here goes:

Get underneath the car, put it up high on jack stands.
      Remove the starter assembly (two long bolts on the starter itself (10mm), and three nuts to the wires (2x12mm, 1x13mm). The starter should basically fall out.
      Once you have the starter removed, you should be able to see straight up to where the hose connects to the outlet on the block. In my case, the prongs for the squeeze clamp were facing the wrong direction (upward toward the hood). This was problematic because the intake manifold braces are tunnel-like and C-shaped, and the hose goes right into one of these "tunnels." There is no room to get pliers or a tool on that clamp. This is when I got creative.. I took a length of wire, and doubled it over, and looped it up over BOTH prongs of the squeeze clamp. The wire was long enough to where I could wrap my hands in it (wear gloves) and heave-ho until the clamp rotated enough to where I could fish a pair of water pump pliers up there and back the clamp off of the outlet. The clamp on the firewall is easy to get to and remove.

When putting the new hose back on, I lubed it up and put a screw clamp on it, facing DOWN. I put a socket on the screw and used every extension I had, which made it easy to tighten the clamp using a ratchet from below the car. Note that the new hose was a length of standard heater hose from autozone and it was STRAIGHT, without the unnecessary bends that the stock ones have for some reason. I put a squeeze clamp on the firewall end of the new hose, pressure tested the system, and reinstalled the starter.

Filled it up with coolant, ran the engine and cycled the heater until it reached operating temperature. No runs, no drips, no errors.

Hope this helps you guys in the future!!!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueBird94 For This Useful Post:

dfphoto (12-22-2020)

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Hello, I was able to replace the heater hose on an 2007 aveo5 special value from the top but I did remove the battery and loosened both the reservoir tank and the wiper motor so I could get the hose off by the engine. I bought the 24" flexible cable/clamp tool on amazon for 13.00 hard part was getting a light in there I ended up with a bare bulb inside plus a headlamp on top of 2 70 watt led lights but that was useless anyway once I loosened the clamp with the pliers (opened and held the clamp) I used a little hook pick to loosen the hose then I grabbed the hose and twisted it off (battery needed to be out of the way)
      The other side of this hose was harder actually as very little room to grab the clamps.

I lubed the new hose and I put a deep socket in it to open the ends up for 20 min. I used silicone grease and it slid on. I had to use a z like shaped pick to slide the clamp back onto the heater core nipple. All a pain but found out a damn rat ate the hose.... Now I have to deal with my washer tank to see what's up with that leak again the damn rat sort of like trump LOL