•  

Thread: CEL P2135 (Throttle position sensor) 2006 Aveo. Erratic idle, stalls etc.

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

CEL P2135 (Throttle position sensor) 2006 Aveo. Erratic idle, stalls etc.

Hi Guys,

I am posting for my worker who owns a 2006 Aveo LT (manual tranny, a little over 100,000km/60000 miles). His CEL went on a few days ago and he has been experiencing the following symptoms:

-idle is erratic. When the car starts the RPM jumps to over 2000 RPM (sometimes 3000) then eventually comes done. When it reaches idle, the needle bounces up and down a few hundred RPMs.
      -when driving, the car is rough and jumpy. Again the RPM is erratic even when accelerating.
      -When you let go of the gas the car would coast but the RPMs would drop almost to a stall. If my coworker doesn't give it gas it sometimes stalls.

We ran an OBD2 scanner and only P2135 pops up which says that it's the Throttle Position Sensor. Looks like my coworker will order one ($20.xx CDN) but after reading a few sites people were saying it could be the throttle body itself. If anyone has seen this issue we would definitely appreciate some tips on whether the problem is the TPS or it could be something else. My gut feeling is the TPS.

On a side note, where is the TPS? I saw one parts website say that the throttle body comes with the TPS...if that's the case then I imagine the TPS is right beside the throttle body? Thanks in advance for any tips you can provide!

emmsys

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      yes, the tps is attached to the throttle body. Most likely the throttle body need a good cleaning. Nothing else, unless the problem persists.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Hey

I had that exact problem with my car, so i took it to the car dealers coz it was due for a service also. It is the sensor, they cleant it and everything and after the service it dne it agen jst wen i fetchd the car bt after a drove it back to work it was right agen. Bt its definitly the sensor that u wud have to replace if the cleaning of the sensor doesnt help. Bt the cleaning helpd mine.

The sensor is between the throttle body and intake
      Last edited by Nemesis; 06-09-2011 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Extra information added

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      It could also be a loose connection some where along the line. On a side note a while back a friend with a Suburban had her car stalled and would crank but not fire. We eventually got it to run and it ran like crap (idle was everywhere, smoking exhaust and very slow trottle response) and it ended up being the battery not having enought juice to run everything.

"Man who stand on toilet is high on pot""