•  

Thread: Car starts, dies, the cant start for 30 secs. Start, die, start, die.

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Car starts, dies, the cant start for 30 secs. Start, die, start, die.

Hello,

Alright, I have a 2009 Aveo5 LS. I am having issues keeping the car working.

Here is my issue.

Car sat for about a year, when I went to start it, the car would start and run for about 30 secs, then die and I would not be able to start it for another 30 secs, no crank or anything, its like I am not getting a response from the ignition..

I have a check engine light on (no scanner to test it). I started doing some testing and realized my battery was NOT being recharged. I benched tested the battery, all good. Then I noticed the mega fuse on the positive battery cable was blown and once I replaced it; the alternator was charging my battery again, (14.6 volts) when running.

The car seems to start just fine, but it is still doing this issue. Starts, runs for 30, dies, wont start for 30, starts, runs for 30, dies, wont start for 30.... etc etc.. and remember when I try to restart it, I get nothing when I turn the key directly after it stalls.

I am at a loss and not sure I have access to a scanner to find out the codes. Please help.

I have read it could be a fuel pump (which doesnt make sense to me as it starts), ignition coil, (again doesnt make sense, as it runs perfect for 30 secs).

It feels like the computer is waiting for a signal from something and never gets it... If I clean my check engine light, I will start the car, but the light comes on about 25 secs later and the car dies.

idk what is going on.

-Andy

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      The codes would really help. Your local autoparts store may be able to loan you one or you can buy a cheap unit that connects to your phone via bluetooth (those are about $25 online).

Thanks
      -Buy a cheap scanner; its much more helpful then asking a bunch of random people on the internet.
      -After it dies and you turn the key to the on position, do you hear the fuel pump "prime"?
      -Is there anything wrong with the coil pack? Cracked in anyway or old/never been replaced before?
      -Fuel, air, and spark....your engine will not run without em
      2004 Aveo beater car
      2005 Aveo LT. 5-speed beater car (DOA)

Thanks
      Thanks for the replies..

I just bought a cheap scanner and will be delivered tomorrow, so hopefully this gives me an answer..

- After the car dies and I try again, the fuel pump does NOT prime.
      - I do not believe there is a bad coil pack, nothing looks cracked, only owned the car for a year so not sure if its been replaced.
      - I believe I have fuel, air and sparked based on the fact it starts, but possible a fuel issue since it just dies.. not stuttering or anything

again thanks for the help.. will post my codes soon

Thanks
      Well... P0601.. PCM Check Sum Error.. Lovely.

Thanks
      Might be a couple things worth trying first.

1.Disconnect the battery and clean the battery terminals. Leave them disconnected for 15 minutes to give the PCM time to discharge.
      2.Verify the battery is good and that the car maintains ~14 volts while it is running. Looking for voltage drops from the alternator
      3.Find the PCM in your car and look for any wires/connections that are damaged, loose, etc. that could be causing a voltage drop.

Thanks
      Thanks for the reply..

I have verified the battery is good, also it does maintain 14 volts when it is running for that 1 min... Battery terminals are clean but I will check again. Also going to recheck the PCM and the connections into it.

Sadly, it just seems like I need a new/used and reprogrammed PCM.. My car is an 09 Aveo5 with a stick.. the junk yard has a 09 Aveo automatic.. Can grab that for $23 then hopefully have that reprogrammed.. Wish these were plug in play but not seeing good news from that route.

Or I gotta buy refurbed or new and have it programmed.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Your going to have to have your codes checked by someone with a decent scan tool to see what is going on, a cheap one probably wont tell you much most of them can only read p series codes.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      oring on injector bad flooding electrical connections causing shutdown, excess fuel leaks down and evaporates in 30 sec. to repeat process, disconnect one at time repeat starting process ...fuel filter clogged, pump not holding high pressure , bad fuel, use can ether to keep it running with short spray bursts threw air filter box, if you can , you def have shortage of fuel needed to create explosion n chamber....air, spark, fuel....creates fire