•  
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can not get aveo out of park

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Can not get aveo out of park

For the last 2-3 months, I have had an issue with getting my auto aveo out of park, sometimes when I press in the brake pedal, it does not release the lock to get the shifter to move out of park, I have to sit there and press down on the pedal 20-30 times sometimes to get it to unlock and shift into any other gear. Anyone else ever had this issue? I may just go to the dealer as it is still under warranty but if it is an adjustment I can make myself I would rather avoid the dealership.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      go to the dealer if your still under warranty at least they can tell you what's wrong and then you can go from there.

What do you mean there's no turbo? gclark8's Avatar
      Thanks
      Mine has a key operated release just in front of the selector quadrant, need to remove the rubber plug. I park and start in neutral... you will need to rotate the image, its my scanner...

Attached Images Attached Images  
      Last edited by gclark8; 04-27-2019 at 07:40 PM.
      no image

Thanks
      That corner piece that comes up in the corner of the plate? Ill have to check it out, I never knew what that thing did

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      you need to realign the neutral safety switch.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit View Post
      you need to realign the neutral safety switch.
      What/Where is that?

I took everything apart and wedged an object under the panel to hold the switch down, I was looking for a way to bypass this thing for a while and now it is done. I would like to adjust/align that safety switch though.
      Last edited by thehunterooo; 06-24-2011 at 01:52 AM.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by gclark8 View Post
      Mine has a key operated release just in front of the selector quadrant, need to remove the rubber plug. I park and start in neutral... you will need to rotate the image, its my scanner...

Attachment 4282
      Thanks for the picture btw, I took another look in my manual as well and seen that, never knew what it was for, looks like the booklets are different as well (different regions) thanks again though!

Thanks
      Also I am having a problem with my brake lights, they do not always come on when the brake pedal is pressed down, maybe it is related to that switch? I may have knocked something around on the pedal, will look at it tomorrow.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      I had this same shifting issue for the past year or so, it was driving me nuts!

It finally got to the point where the brake lights wouldn't work, even if I could shift the car out of park. Turns out, its a little switch under the dash that goes bad. This switch is set up to sense the brake pedal position, which is essential for both the park shift interlock as well as brake light application.

This is apparently a pretty common problem. I have an 08 aveo, and the NHTSA TSB number for that year for this problem is 10027913.

I had a local mechanic replace the switch, only took an hr and a half, and about $60. The dealership wanted to charge me about $120, but since I have an extended warranty it would only have been $100 deductible. Still, the local guy was cheaper, so I went with him. Ironically, same local guy is quoting me more $$ to replace my timing belt vs. the dealership. So the dealer will still get some of my business.

Thanks
      Your regular warranty ran out already? I have the exact same problem, I am going to take it over to the dealer and have them change it out, I am just about out of my warranty so I need to do it soon

If i am out of warranty (i have 55000 miles only, but the 3 years may be up) I will just take it down to my local shop where they are already doing my timing belt and have them do it, what are they charging you for timing belt servicing? The dealer is usually higher than a regular repair shop, unless the mechanic doe not want to work on it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast