•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A/C problem

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

A/C problem

So when i try and turn my AC on the air doesn't get cold. I popped open the hood and had someone turn on the AC to see if the compressor would kick on or even hear a noise but I got nothing. I heard some people have a problem with the harness right under the air intake and I tried to check it but im not quite sure what im looking for. I also checked fuses and everything is good. I also heard there is a green light that comes on but im not sure where that is located at all. PLEASE HELP! I cant stand the summer w/o ac. Thanks

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      you might just need charged, which means there is a slow leak? which could be solved with a recharge and conditioner. but it could also be more of an issue. Have them put some dye in it, and if it leaks out again they will be able to fine the leak.

the AC wont kick on if there is not enough refrigerant.

the green light is on the button on the dash.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      let me know what you find out. I couldn't see my green light coming on either and ac hasn't worked since the day I bought the car. I just want to fix the ac so I can sell it, but if it's just a harness or some other non-leak related thing, I can sell it right now.

Thanks
      Okay, well the green light does turn on inside on the dash. So i'm gonna try and test the pressure of the refrigerant. Thanks for the help and I will let you know what happens!

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      ditto, I was wrong I just couldn't see the light that it was on. ac definitely still doesn't work though. I'll be glad to hear how this goes for you. It may be a few more weeks (translation: end of the summer) before I can get work done on mine so this is the next best thing.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      i forget the specifics with the switch, and also am weary of telling novice people to attempt this, but..

the pressure switch is on the silver line right near the intake, you will see the plug. now to test if your ac is a pressure problem or not, you either unplug the switch, or connect the pins with a paper clip. then try turning it on, see if it is cold.

do not let it run long, under charged ac will eventually damage the compressor.

if you do this, and the AC kick on and runs, and get cool air out of the AC, then you either need a charge, or need a pressure switch. if the system kicks on, but you do not get cool air, you most likely have a leak in the system and no r134 left. if the system does not work even after tripping the switch, then you have another component issue.

Thanks
      Thanks a bunch for the advice! I'm gonna go try to unplug the switch first to see if it kicks on and gets cold. Then i'm not sure if i need a paper clip but I guess i'll try it out. Do you know where i can get a new switch if that's the case?

Thanks
      In connection to this, the issue on my aveo is that once it turns on (engages) it never dissengages. This worries me because I'm pretty sure this would shorten the life of my compressor. Anything I should check? TIA

Thanks
      If you want good AC take your car to a certified air conditioning technician for an inspection and repair, if needed.
      There is no messing with it that could help and sometimes good regular mechanics without a certification in AC know just as much as you do about AC but won't admit it. If your mechanic offered to put freon in it, he doesn't know squat about AC.
      Hope i helped

Thanks
      The most common cause of an air conditioner not getting cold enough is that it needs to be recharged.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast