•  

Thread: A/C Issue

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

A/C Issue

So, I love my aveo, just gotta say that ha! Been a great car really. 2008 with about 68k. I treat her well. She's been good to us. Very few things have gone wrong. Nothing out of the ordinary really. That being said, the A/C is making me wanna pull my hair out! About 4 years ago I noticed something was up (don't remember exact detail forgive me). Was told my compressor was going out. What do you know the next summer no A/C. We decided to just deal with it. But this year has been humid and I wanted it. So we fixed her about 2 months ago. Everything was working like a charm. Used it 3 days ago, was just great! Hop in this morning and right away notice it's less cool. Then I start hearing a noise. Finish my errands. Pop the hood at home. A/C off notice nothing. Turn it on, kicks in, sounds normal under the hood. Go in the car hear tge noise again. I don't know how to describe it. Kind of a shhhh that will gradually go away after you turn the A/C off. Its not the fan, noise is only there with A/C on. Comes and goes inconsistently. I have no clue what it could be now. My husband is at work, was hoping to get some clues for him before he comes home. Any ideas?????

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      There are ways to determine what it is, the most important question is when the noise comes back do you hear it in the engine compartment as well? Does the pulley for the AC continue spinning or click off?

It could be the air vent is clogged as well and making a "sucking" sound through the dirt. It is really hard to guess. But clogged filter = less air movement = less cold air. But that is only if the rest of the system functions properly.

Thanks
      Thanks for the advice. I only notice the noise in the car and gets louder when you stick your head by the glove box area. Ac seems to still be running as normal just not as cold.

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      I would start with changing the HVAC air filter.

Thanks
      We actually just changed that a few months ago. Shamefully for the first time ever. I didn't know it had one, was finding conflicting info and with the ac not working before wasn't concerned. But I suppose it could need it again. We'll check tomorrow. I really want to find the solution to this but also don't wanna stick a million more dollars into it ya know. Ugh, cars! Lol!