•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big trouble in little Aveo (auto to manual conversion when replacing engine?)

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Big trouble in little Aveo (auto to manual conversion when replacing engine?)

So I am new to the forum, however I am in serious need of help/advice. I have a 2006 aveo 4 door. Automatic. The car began making lot of noise recently and rapidly got worse. I have a lot of miles on it, and believe i may have neglected the recommended maintenance on it and the timing belt may have gone. Research i have done thus far indicates i may need valve and piston work as well. I have been flirting with the idea of doing a swap to a manual tranny but. Not sure. How. Simple the swap would be. Any kind of help or advice would be amazing.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      I personally don't think a manual swap would be terribly hard, but if you have to ask how to do it, its probably too much of an undertaking.. kind of like a lot of more "difficult" mods.

The big thing to look into is the wiring, how much of it needs replaced because of the differences in the accessories.

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks
      welcome! i'd just replace the motor dude. i looked around and its about $500-700 for a junked motor. another $600 for a mech to install. im currently getting a new motor thru the dealer. my timing gear slipped out and Effed the motor.
      Silver Bullet~
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3360111/1

Silverado Ext cab 02
      Accord Ex 94
      Aveo Ls 06

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit View Post
      I personally don't think a manual swap would be terribly hard, but if you have to ask how to do it, its probably too much of an undertaking.. kind of like a lot of more "difficult" mods.

The big thing to look into is the wiring, how much of it needs replaced because of the differences in the accessories.
      Thanks for the input... I wasn't asking how to do the swap, the basic idea i get. I'm just not sure if the manual tranny is a direct bolt on or needs mods. If wiring is the biggest thing i need to worry about then I'm a pretty happy camper. Thanks again

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by oscare003 View Post
      welcome! i'd just replace the motor dude. i looked around and its about $500-700 for a junked motor. another $600 for a mech to install. im currently getting a new motor thru the dealer. my timing gear slipped out and Effed the motor.
      Yikes sorry to hear about your luck. Seems to be comparable to mine. I have no prob doing that (replacing the motor) i just need to know if i will need a machine shop to fabricate brackets and such to retro fit the swap to a manual... I'm not a big fan of this motor to begin with, does not operate desireably so maybe i should go with a more resilient option? Know of any? Are you dropping a 1.6?

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks
      its under warrenty in a way so itll be the same motor. hopefully i hear somthing this week
      Silver Bullet~
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3360111/1

Silverado Ext cab 02
      Accord Ex 94
      Aveo Ls 06

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      to do the manual swap you would need to be able to mount the clutch and shifter stuff.. it would take a lot more than you would think.. small example is you would need a new center counsel and just a bunch of little things that makes the job not worth it in the end...

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by tidus10 View Post
      to do the manual swap you would need to be able to mount the clutch and shifter stuff.. it would take a lot more than you would think.. small example is you would need a new center counsel and just a bunch of little things that makes the job not worth it in the end...

Hmmmm, food for thought...

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      See that is "common sense" to me that you would need the shifter and pedals console, etc. swapped over.

Its actually a common swap in the vw community. for most of the platforms. the engine can be kept, it would just need a flywheel and clutch bolted to it, you would need a manual computer, and then see how the harness is different in the dash. You would also need a manual starter, axles, shifter, clutch / break pedal, slave cylinder (which might include a master cylinder), clutch lines, and engine mounts. The wiring inside needs addressed, but i couldnt say what needs to be done until attempting one. might be easiest to do the whole dash harness, with the clutch switch etc. but you might be able to just just the neutral safety switch circuit to the clutch pressed switch and be done with it.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit View Post
      See that is "common sense" to me that you would need the shifter and pedals console, etc. swapped over.

Its actually a common swap in the vw community. for most of the platforms. the engine can be kept, it would just need a flywheel and clutch bolted to it, you would need a manual computer, and then see how the harness is different in the dash. You would also need a manual starter, axles, shifter, clutch / break pedal, slave cylinder (which might include a master cylinder), clutch lines, and engine mounts. The wiring inside needs addressed, but i couldnt say what needs to be done until attempting one. might be easiest to do the whole dash harness, with the clutch switch etc. but you might be able to just just the neutral safety switch circuit to the clutch pressed switch and be done with it.
      I'm leaning in the direction of..... It might be easier to just find a totaled aveo and take the engine, tranny and accessories from it....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast