•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battery Gunk and other power issues

Geo
      I'll keep it and add a turbo Geo's Avatar
      Thanks

Battery Gunk and other power issues

I recently noticed that I have what looks like mold on my battery. Is this a problem I should worry about? Also, sometimes my clock and radio shuts off from time to time and even at one point It wouldn't start. I took it to my mechanic and he told me that one of the battery terminals were loose and that he fixed it up for me.

Do you think I should just purchase a new batt?Name:  photo 1.jpg
Views: 2488
Size:  311.9 KB

Thanks
      I've seen many cars with corrosion like that on the battery terminals. It looks weird but it will be fine. If you ever take the leads off the battery just make sure to clean it up (careful that stuff has acid in it), and clean the battery terminals and connectors before reinstalling them.

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
      I've seen many cars with corrosion like that on the battery terminals. It looks weird but it will be fine. If you ever take the leads off the battery just make sure to clean it up (careful that stuff has acid in it), and clean the battery terminals and connectors before reinstalling them.
      Nope, it's not fine. It is a potential or actual problem. It certainly can cause a no-start condition if the corrosion residue present is heavy enough, and in your case it is so heavy that it looks like it definitely IS causing a problem! It doesn't take much to cause a no-start condition. But this is easy to fix.

Buy a battery terminal cleaner brush (they are very inexpensive). Do disconnect both leads from the terminals and clean both the battery posts and the cable ends. All are made of lead. The brush has two ends, one to clean inside of the cable terminals and the other to clean the posts. Remove all the powdery stuff that flakes off as it is highly corrosive. If necessary, clean up with a wet cloth with baking soda to neutralize acidic residue. This should be done on a regular basis if you car is more than a few years old, and long before it looks like your photo does.

"An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."
      Last edited by Thymeclock; 12-13-2012 at 02:19 AM.

Geo
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Thymeclock View Post
      Nope, it's not fine. It is a potential or actual problem. It certainly can cause a no-start condition if the corrosion residue present is heavy enough, and in your case it is so heavy that it looks like it definitely IS causing a problem! It doesn't take much to cause a no-start condition. But this is easy to fix.

Buy a battery terminal cleaner brush (they are very inexpensive). Do disconnect both leads from the terminals and clean both the battery posts and the cable ends. All are made of lead. The brush has two ends, one to clean inside of the cable terminals and the other to clean the posts. Remove all the powdery stuff that flakes off as it is highly corrosive. If necessary, clean up with a wet cloth with baking soda to neutralize acidic residue. This should be done on a regular basis if you car is more than a few years old, and long before it looks like your photo does.

"An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."
      GEE! Thanks guys! I'm so glad to have such knowledgeable people on this forum! People think I'm too cautious with my car, but you never know!

Thanks
      As I said, I've seen this may times. As long as the connection between the connector and battery terminal are good (which they probably are or you would be having problems), everything is fine. The problem comes from battery electrolyte seeping up between the lead terminal and plastic casing. This causes corrosion but has doens't normally cause problems between the connector and battery terminal. Notice how the corrosion is on the outside of the connector, not the inside. Cleaning it up isn't a bad idea, but I can pretty much gaurentee if you clean it up now it'll be right back to the way it is now in a couple of months.

Geo
      Thanks
      As I said, I've seen this may times. As long as the connection between the connector and battery terminal are good (which they probably are or you would be having problems), everything is fine. The problem comes from battery electrolyte seeping up between the lead terminal and plastic casing. This causes corrosion but has doens't normally cause problems between the connector and battery terminal. Notice how the corrosion is on the outside of the connector, not the inside. Cleaning it up isn't a bad idea, but I can pretty much gaurentee if you clean it up now it'll be right back to the way it is now in a couple of months.
      Sounds good, but what about the power issue with my radio going in and out?

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      Geo, I'm going to give some newbie advice, because it sounds like you've never done much work around cars in the past. If you already know this basic stuff, my mistake and please don't be insulted. If you remove the cables from the battery, it's negative first then positive. Reinstall is reverse of that. It's VERY important to isolate the undone cables away from everything metal and especially the battery posts. Tie them up/away with string if they won't stay in an isolated spot. And also keep metal tools and body parts away from the battery posts. When you clean off the gunk, use rubber gloves and eye protection. Stay safe !!!

Geo
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by avguy View Post
      Geo, I'm going to give some newbie advice, because it sounds like you've never done much work around cars in the past. If you already know this basic stuff, my mistake and please don't be insulted. If you remove the cables from the battery, it's negative first then positive. Reinstall is reverse of that. It's VERY important to isolate the undone cables away from everything metal and especially the battery posts. Tie them up/away with string if they won't stay in an isolated spot. And also keep metal tools and body parts away from the battery posts. When you clean off the gunk, use rubber gloves and eye protection. Stay safe !!!
      Thank you. You're correct about my experience with cars. I greatly appreciate the advice you have supplied me with

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Geo View Post
      Sounds good, but what about the power issue with my radio going in and out?
      Its definitely not a bad idea to clean up the terminals, but I wouldn't say its definitely a problem is all. If you had a bad battery connection there you would have more problems than radio issues. You'd have problems starting the car as that is by far the largest drain on the battery.

Geo
      Thanks
      Its definitely not a bad idea to clean up the terminals, but I wouldn't say its definitely a problem is all. If you had a bad battery connection there you would have more problems than radio issues. You'd have problems starting the car as that is by far the largest drain on the battery.

I see, and thanks again

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast