•  

Thread: Aveo-rough idle-no error codes

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Aveo-rough idle-no error codes

I've replaced 10 valves on this 2004 aveo after a timing belt break and now I have a rough idle and no error codes show up. Valves were hand lapped and new intake gaskets were installed. Rough idle is persistent and only goes away if I pull the connector on the Oxygen sensor on the exhaust maniflold. With this sensor disconnected, the idle improves. Unplugging any of the connectors to the intake system makes no difference. I've tried putting an unlit propane torch to the intake manifold and I hear no change in idle.
      Anybody have any ideas or directions in which to proceed?

Almost time to do my timing belt ontarian_frog's Avatar
      Thanks

Re: Aveo-rough idle-no error codes

Quote Originally Posted by points_north
      I've replaced 10 valves on this 2004 aveo after a timing belt break and now I have a rough idle and no error codes show up. Valves were hand lapped and new intake gaskets were installed. Rough idle is persistent and only goes away if I pull the connector on the Oxygen sensor on the exhaust maniflold. With this sensor disconnected, the idle improves. Unplugging any of the connectors to the intake system makes no difference. I've tried putting an unlit propane torch to the intake manifold and I hear no change in idle.
      Anybody have any ideas or directions in which to proceed?
      timing of the cam(s) might be off by a tooth. Just throwing it out there.
      I leased Pontiac Wave from September 2006 to August 2011.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Found the problem. Intake cam was off by one tooth. Guess it slipped while I was dicking around trying to get the water pump rotated into the belt tightening position. Thanks the one reply I received. It made me rethink everything I had done.

Almost time to do my timing belt ontarian_frog's Avatar
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by points_north
      Found the problem. Intake cam was off by one tooth. Guess it slipped while I was dicking around trying to get the water pump rotated into the belt tightening position. Thanks the one reply I received. It made me rethink everything I had done.
      There's been a few times now that a cam is off by a tooth after changing it, and the problem associated with it is a rough idle. That's the only reason I pointed it out.

I leased Pontiac Wave from September 2006 to August 2011.