•  

Thread: Aveo oil cooler problems or head gasket?

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Aveo oil cooler problems or head gasket?

2010 chevy aveo lt 1.4l 153k. Oil is leaking into coolant, but no coolant is leaking into oil.
      Is this a head gasket issue or an oil cooler issue?

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      you are sure it is oil and not transmission fluid? The only place the oil and coolant really share areas with the opportunity to mix is the head gasket. Typically which ever one leaks that is closest to the cylinder gets pushed into the chamber farther away. (if the cylinder is leaking as well). You could do a compression test and a cylinder leak down test to check for head gasket leaks. Even this won't be 100% fool proof if it is a minor leak.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      I know this is old thread, but there seems to be a lot of ppl saying head gasket is only place close enough to mix oil into coolant....WRONG...OIL COOLER o-ring is most logical place for oil to mix with coolant and not contaminate oil. oil pressure is 40psi where coolant seldom gets over 15psi...higher pressure wins battle across weak seal..oil cooler located under/behind exhaust manifold , oil filter attaches to it, along with 4 other coolant lines with o-rings...if this is ur situation, i also recommend changing all coolant hoses, they have been compromised by the oil in coolant and wont last long...heater hoses 2...upper rad. lower rad. maybe an intake hose...9 outta 10 times oil cooler is culprit...5 hr. repair for any shade tree DIYer...good luck

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by viciousvīc View Post
      I know this is old thread, but there seems to be a lot of ppl saying head gasket is only place close enough to mix oil into coolant....WRONG...OIL COOLER o-ring is most logical place for oil to mix with coolant and not contaminate oil. oil pressure is 40psi where coolant seldom gets over 15psi...higher pressure wins battle across weak seal..oil cooler located under/behind exhaust manifold , oil filter attaches to it, along with 4 other coolant lines with o-rings...if this is ur situation, i also recommend changing all coolant hoses, they have been compromised by the oil in coolant and wont last long...heater hoses 2...upper rad. lower rad. maybe an intake hose...9 outta 10 times oil cooler is culprit...5 hr. repair for any shade tree DIYer...good luck www.northshoregasfitters.info/
      Thanks for sharing your knowledge sir