•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aveo 2004 67k. Pisto Ring Replacement?

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Aveo 2004 67k. Pisto Ring Replacement?

Hello,

I have a 2004 1.6l 67k miles aveo. I replaced the head gasket and there is a knocking. I did a compression test and gave 200 psi all four cylinders. did a leakdown test and gave air coming out of the oil dipstick. I was having a hard time finding TDC compression stroke so I used a balloon (saw a video) and gave air out for all of them ( 4 cylinders) through the dipstick (I find it a bit weird). The car runs good but it does have a knocking that increases with rev. Head engine was resurface and got new bolts. All bolts tighten at torque specs. When I turn the crankshaft I hear air going in and out noticeably but not sure if it is normal. I am thinking I need to replace the piston rings. There is no smoke coming out of the engine. is the timing bad? There is oil residue on top of each piston. Serpentine belt off. Also, there is oil getting into the combustion chamber. Pistons have oil in it. Coolant level has not dropped at all. Video of sound: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgL0...ature=youtu.be. No check engine light on! I really need help and fix the car asap. Thank you in advance.

John

Last edited by johnlopez; 03-03-2017 at 05:44 PM.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      That kinda sounds like lifters to me

Thanks
      Ok... you will get more air escaping at bdc than you would at tdc... remove spark plugs look down spark plug holes turn engine until piston is at the top of its stroke then do a leak down test.

Thanks
      Hi TurboElk,

I am going to check the lifters. Take the shafts out and look at the lifters closely. I know they should spin which all of them do. When I had the valve cover off I pushed each on of them down a little to see if they are moving and I have three that would not move down. Would this be normal? or there should be some movement?

You got me confused for a sec but I did post that I did TDC top dead center. I am going to do a compression test again so to make sure because wouldn't bad rings give low compression? I already took the head off and was a big job and doing that will just be a nightmare so I am trying to fixed and hope I do not have to do that. Thanks for replying btw.

John

Thanks
      Update:

So I decided to take the cams off and inspect the lifters which I found that 6 were busted. Read that it could happen to them and they do not move whatsoever. I put them in gas overnight and I will look tomorrow Monday to see if they have any movement if not I will have to replace them. Looks like you were right on Turboelk. I hope this is it. Fingers crossed. Will update since other people also see these forums. Might help another folks.

Almost time to do my timing belt xintersecty's Avatar
      Thanks
      When I rebuilt my head I had a few that were difficult to remove. Saw in other thread that you did not get a response. It looks like you did here. I also used a rebuild lube when I put stuff together. I suggest the same.
      Please do not power off, firmware update pending.....

Thanks
      Yes rebuild lube or break in oil, Royal Purple makes one so do other companies... I'm a be liver that if a little is good a bit more is better.... am I wrong?

Thanks
      Well, no luck. cleaned them very well and made sure that each one of them was moving freely. Put everything back tonight and no changes what so ever. I am guessing now that there might be a bent valve? the noise for sure comes from the top. When I take the oil cap off you can clearly hear the noise coming from there.

how can I see if I have a bent valve? Something that I should mention is that when I turn the engine from the crankshaft it is not easy. it turns but at some point gets a little bit hard and then a little bit harder and then I have to put some strength to ti and then it turns and becomes easy again.

When I took the head to the shop they said they would check the valves. When i went back now that I remember they said that they checked the compression of the valves. would this be the same checking for a bent valve?

When I checked the cams the exhaust was smelling a little bit like the smoke. Oh yeah now the smoke is back. comes out of the flex pipe I guess it does once the engine is warm. It has been way over two weeks fixing this damn car. I am tired but gotta fix it. Any inputs? can I change the valves with the head on? I can take everything apart (fml) again but I would I have to buy another head gasket and new bolts? they are brand new. Thanks for any help.

Thanks
      Are you sure your timing belt is lined up right?
      Did you submerge the lifters in oil and pump the lifters to pump oli in them?

You can't change the valves without taking the head off you can't change the valve without taking the head off, and yes you need a new head gasket and bolts and yes you need a new head gasket and bolts

Thanks
      Yes this time I was 100% sure the timing was right cams lined up perfect with crankshaft piston 1 TDC. Yes I did. I put oil and pump it and pushed the little bulb for oil to go into it (let air out) and then put oil in them and let them sit for 30 min

I am going to see if I can get them cheap. do you know anything about the turning issue that gets hard. Should the engine turn smoothly evenly? because it gets hard at some point and then gets easy to turn? (was going to say soft but sounded sexual lol). &nbsp;<br><br>Any tips on replacing the valves???

Would the smoke be still coolent? even though it is not going down on the reservoir at all? What if I have a damn cracked blocked engine? Did i mess up the new head gasket? Idk I am just losing it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast