•  

Thread: Air Conditioner Issues - 2010 Chevy Aveo LT

What's wrong with my car? Interstate275Fla's Avatar
      Thanks

Air Conditioner Issues - 2010 Chevy Aveo LT

I am having some issues with my air conditoning in my 2010 Chevrolet Aveo LT.

A week ago, I can turn it on (not onto max a/c) and get cold air for a while. When I am out on the highway, sometimes the a/c will blow trickle cold air on the third fan speed position. I will stop for a while (such as a restaurant) and then the a/c will blow full cold air again. Right after I turn off the car I noticed that the low pressure line iced up which immediately melted thanks to the heat of the engine.

I live in Florida where we have high humidity during the summer, by the way.

I took my Aveo LT to an air conditioning service shop and tests were made. Turns out that it was a freon issue, and my a/c system was recharged. The tech also mentioned that there was the possibility of a part within the a/c system that has to do with the temperature sensor but that was very remote.

A week later, things were OK. However, due to Florida's oppressive humidity my a/c low pressure iced up on me again, but on a smaller scale. It took place at night when the humidity was oppressive at its best. That's why most owners manuals say to not operate the a/c at max cool when it's extremely hot and humid outside.

On a side note, I was told that replacing the temperature sensor would involve tearing down the front dashboard to get to the location where the sensor is located. As such, I would be looking at a repair bill of about $700, apparently due to the 11 hour labor involved. Is this true?

What do you mean there's no turbo? Chevy Customer Svc's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Interstate275Fla View Post
      I am having some issues with my air conditoning in my 2010 Chevrolet Aveo LT.

A week ago, I can turn it on (not onto max a/c) and get cold air for a while. When I am out on the highway, sometimes the a/c will blow trickle cold air on the third fan speed position. I will stop for a while (such as a restaurant) and then the a/c will blow full cold air again. Right after I turn off the car I noticed that the low pressure line iced up which immediately melted thanks to the heat of the engine.

I live in Florida where we have high humidity during the summer, by the way.

I took my Aveo LT to an air conditioning service shop and tests were made. Turns out that it was a freon issue, and my a/c system was recharged. The tech also mentioned that there was the possibility of a part within the a/c system that has to do with the temperature sensor but that was very remote.

A week later, things were OK. However, due to Florida's oppressive humidity my a/c low pressure iced up on me again, but on a smaller scale. It took place at night when the humidity was oppressive at its best. That's why most owners manuals say to not operate the a/c at max cool when it's extremely hot and humid outside.

On a side note, I was told that replacing the temperature sensor would involve tearing down the front dashboard to get to the location where the sensor is located. As such, I would be looking at a repair bill of about $700, apparently due to the 11 hour labor involved. Is this true?
      Sorry to hear you're having these A/C issues. Unfortunately I don't have pricing information. That would be handled at the dealership level. If you need assist with locating dealership in your area, I can assist you. If so, please private message my your contact information. I would need your VIN, full name, current mileage and contact phone number.

Thank you for being a Chevy Customer!

Vanessa
      GM Customer Service
      Don't forget to check out my.chevrolet.com link and take advantage of a wealth of vehicle information!

For information on the GM Privacy Statement, please visit http://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html

Thanks
      Taking a dash apart can be a pretty lengthly process. 11 hours seems a bit high to me, but I'm sure it does take that much time on some vehicles. I'd suggest getting another quote or two from different shops.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      So I had the same issue and it only seemed to happen when it was super hot with high humidity, this past week my air conditioner just stopped blowing cold air. Any suggestions? Help please

What do you mean there's no turbo? Chevy Customer Svc's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      tclark,

If you decide you want to get this checked into by a dealership, please let us know as we're available to provide additional support. Hopefully other Aveo owners will also jump on the thread to provide additional insight.

Sarah (Assisting Jackie)
      Chevrolet Customer Care

Don't forget to check out my.chevrolet.com link and take advantage of a wealth of vehicle information!

For information on the GM Privacy Statement, please visit http://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html