•  

Thread: Aerodynamic problem or bad bearing?

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Question Aerodynamic problem or bad bearing?

I have a 2007 Aveo LS with 51k miles on it and it makes a weird noise that I can only describe as what a bearing sounds like when it is going out. I have searched the forum and found that some people have been having door seal problems that cause a howling but the sound my car is making sounds like a bad bearing and it causes the car to pull to the side the noise is coming from (right). The problem usually occurs around 75-80mph but the strange thing (which makes me think it is an aerodynamic issue) is that I can get it to stop if I crack the driver or passenger side window an 8th of an inch or more. The noise sounds and feels as though it is coming from the front end. It is driving me crazy! I am getting ready to change the break pads and would like to figure out if it is a bearing or aerodynamic problem since I will be working on the front end and might be able to fix it if someone can help me identify this elusive (to me anyway) problem.

Thanks,
      (V)a++

Thanks
      Jack the car up and see if you can wiggle the wheel around to see if it wobbles at all. Also, spin it. If it has a bad bearing, you'll be able to hear it.

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
      Jack the car up and see if you can wiggle the wheel around to see if it wobbles at all. Also, spin it. If it has a bad bearing, you'll be able to hear it.
      Thanks, Daox
      I will check it out when I get to the brakes some time this weekend. I am familiar with bad bearings. My girlfriends 2000 Ford Focus had the right rear bearing go out and we did not make it home in time. Needles to say I ended up having to change the spindle as the bearing friction welded itself to it.
      I am really thinking it is an aerodynamic problem of sorts. I just put new tires on the car (front and back) and the noise seems to have gone away. I will have to check it out some more when I have a chance to get on the interstate.
      I have to say, I like the gas millage I get out of the car but that is about it. I miss my Jeep but not gas prices...