•  

Thread: AC compressor noise and now not working

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

AC compressor noise and now not working

alright i got my ac installed then took my car to get vacuumed and charged.

i got it back and didnt get a chance to talk to the mechanic before i left due to leaving for vacation right after but when i would turn the ac on the compressor would make a scraping noise. the ac was working and blowing cold so i didnt think much of it other than since the compressor was used that it needed lubrication so i sprayed it with wd40.

the scraping noise wasnt as loud an seemed to get better over time with driving. this is where the problem occurred i had the ac off for about a half hour then turned it on an nothing no cold air.

i checked the clutch and it is not engaging anymore.

thoughts? a leak and low refrigerant? bad clutch? bad compressor ?

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      oh and the scraping noise would get faster as you would press the gas making the rpms rise then back to normal scraping at idle.

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      could be the clutch, try jumping the pressure switch, and see if it kicks on. If it does, try adding a charge with pag oil in it to hope the noise softens. If if does not you might need a new compressor or something..

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      jumped the switch at the relay and it worked. looks like i got quite a good size leak im thinking at the conpressor. found that out by adding refrigerant and hearing it leak out after i shut the car off so back to the shop i go

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      hello need some help here. i get the same signs and the mechanic told me to buy ac clutch. does anyone know where i can buy the said parts here in Abu Dhabi, UAE? and any idea of the price? my car is Chevy Aveo 2006. thanks & looking forward to hear some suggestions.

Thanks
      I've got an 04. My AC stopped working one day also. I got the green light on the button but there was no "clack" of the AC Clutch. A few minutes of poking around with a meter I found the power wire on the 2 wire plug going to the AC Clutch came on/off with the button but it the clutch never engaged. Bad AC clutch....easy test... An hour of googling all over I gave up on trying to find the clutch. Pretty sure you can't get just the clutch for that new. I bought a junkyard 08' Compressor for 80$. Swapped it out and it still didn't work.. WTF! It's getting the power to engage as it should..... I run jumpers to the old clutch and it engages on the workbench.... Damn... Hmmmmm I Test the other wire on the 2 wire plug (Ground) and it's dead.

My problem was a dead ground for the AC Clutch. I pulled the harness apart and that wire rubbed through against the chassis and broke.

Last edited by Lola; 07-07-2013 at 10:44 AM.