•  

Thread: 2011 Chevy Aveo5 Coolant Leak

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

2011 Chevy Aveo5 Coolant Leak

I just recently started having issues with my car overheating and running low on coolant. I have to fill my car up with coolant twice in the past three days. I can see the leak and wanted to know where it's coming from and what I can do. In the picture it looks like there is a black box behind what I think is the thermostat and the coolant is coming out around the bolts. What is this and what should I do?

Attached Images Attached Images  

LXV-SCOOTADRIVE, ON! 2010AveoLT's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by 7H3LaughingMan View Post
      I just recently started having issues with my car overheating and running low on coolant. I have to fill my car up with coolant twice in the past three days. I can see the leak and wanted to know where it's coming from and what I can do. In the picture it looks like there is a black box behind what I think is the thermostat and the coolant is coming out around the bolts. What is this and what should I do?
      that is the Thermostat housing; unfortunately, its about a $300 part from Oreilly's, and its $350 from the GM Dealership.

Thanks
      Well, it's a good thing I still have my extended warranty. Thanks for the info.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      That black part is the plastic manifold that the heater hoses, water pump and thermostat housing mount to. Dorman makes a great replacement for it that's about $80 online. I just replaced that on my Wife's 2010 Aveo5 in January. It's a common issue. It's an easy part to replace as it's pretty clear around it. The drain plug for the radiator is on the bottom drivers side, 13 mm hex that drains out through the mount. I would recommend taking out the battery though to give better access to the clamps on the heater core hoses.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by sparky34kv View Post
      That black part is the plastic manifold that the heater hoses, water pump and thermostat housing mount to. Dorman makes a great replacement for it that's about $80 online. I just replaced that on my Wife's 2010 Aveo5 in January. It's a common issue. It's an easy part to replace as it's pretty clear around it. The drain plug for the radiator is on the bottom drivers side, 13 mm hex that drains out through the mount. I would recommend taking out the battery though to give better access to the clamps on the heater core hoses.
      Do you happen to have a link to the product you bought? All I can find is the entire assembly.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      It's the entire assembly, including the thermostat. Dorman 902-033. Yours might be different since it's a 2011 and our is 2010.

https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-902-03.../dp/B01NCJ9MGW
      Last edited by sparky34kv; 03-16-2018 at 07:50 PM.

LXV-SCOOTADRIVE, ON! 2010AveoLT's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by sparky34kv View Post
      It's the entire assembly, including the thermostat. Dorman 902-033. Yours might be different since it's a 2011 and our is 2010.

https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-902-03.../dp/B01NCJ9MGW
      2010 and 2011 should be the same; it’s the same engine. Although I have noticed that Scootaloo has been leaking around the heater hose connections at the housing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      That's good to know, I did not want to make an assumption. I can't say enough about the part, it did the trick and I feel better having an aluminum housing instead of plastic. I got a CEL for thermostat a few weeks later, it was lifetime warrantee so it was replaced for free. The code indicated thermostat, since it was the only thing had done involving that I didn't even troubleshoot any further. Since replacing it and clearing the code, no issues.

Thanks
      That plastic piece is the housing I just replaced mine. Auto Advance wanted 92.00. I found a brand new one on Amazon comes with new thermostat gaskets and housing for 33.00. Installed on car working great.